2000 Mercury XR6 150 hp starts then dies

Tom Duroy

Recruit
My motor has started fine all summer. Was running fine one night then went to start next morning (cool morning)and it turned over fine but wouldn't start. Finally started up and I let it idle for about 5 minutes. Took off from shore got about 100 yards out and died like someone shut switch off. After about 15 minutes of it starting and dieing I was able to take off. Ran perfect from there until I loaded it up 4 hours later. That evening started and ran perfect with no problems. Next morning motor started idled about 5 to 8 minutes. Started out in lake just as I was about to full throttle it the motor shut on and off about 3 times and then quit. It started about 3 times and died in next 45 minutes. It would only run for about 5 to 10 seconds and die. Just about when I was about to load the boat I tried it again and it started and ran. After running at about 1/4 throttle for about 5 minutes I decided to try it again. Boat ran perfect with no problems. shut it off and on several times with no issues. Drove it back 3 miles to boat ramp and loaded it up. This boat did this several times last year and finally when it wouldn't even try to fire or run at the boat ramp I hauled it off to the shop. The shop had the boat for two months and it never failed to start for them. They told me that it could have pssibly been the wiring harness plug connection. This is a frustrating problem. It is also weird that after the motor goes through it's initail start up and running problems (when it happens) that after it decides to stay running that it has no further problems the rest of the day. Please help

M

Maxz695

Re: 2000 Mercury XR6 150 hp starts then dies

I hate them lil gremlins too!!! Have you checked the fuel for water. Also may be the crab floats are gummed up a bit causing a sticky float.Check for loose grounds and lose wires on the switchbox. The engine appears to be ok so it is feul or electrical related

Dukedog

Captain

Use an exacto knife or something about tha same size and "gently" spread tha prongs on tha male end of your wiring harness. Use a good electrical contact cleaner on both male and female ends. This may/may not be tha problem but will elliminate it as a possibility. Like said check All connections, especially grounds. Being a cdm motor makes it a little harder ta figure out if its electrical. Especially on a computer.............gl

Tom Duroy

Recruit

I hate them lil gremlins too!!! Have you checked the fuel for water. Also may be the crab floats are gummed up a bit causing a sticky float.Check for loose grounds and lose wires on the switchbox. The engine appears to be ok so it is feul or electrical related

When you talk about the switchbox are you refering to the ignition switch mounted on the dash or a switchbox on the motor itself?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The fact that it 'shuts off' instead of slowing and dying leads me to suspect an ignition grounding, intermittantly.

You need to test the ignition switch with an Ohm meter. The Black wire with a thin Yellow trace line is the 'Ground-to-kill' wire that connects to both switchboxes. ANY ground on this wire will kill spark and the motor dies immediately and will not even give a 'pop' when trying to start.

Proving a fault on an intermittant problem can be a bear.

Test the Black/Yellow wire at the ignition switch, turn the key On/Off a bunch of times, there should only be continuity with the switch turned OFF, any continuity with the switch On proves the fault and you buy a new switch.

If you have the boat out and the motor fails, immediately unplug the Black/yellow wire at the switch and see if the motor restarts and runs fine, just remember that you cannot shut it off without running it out of fuel.