mercury 90 hp stator nd trigger

Tank01

Recruit
I have a 1985 Mercury 90 hp inline 6 and I am having problems of intermittent misfiring, I took it to a local repair shop to be checked out and they said it was most likely the trigger for the stator. I would like to replace this myself but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

M

Maxz695

Re: mercury 90 hp stator nd trigger

First set the flywheel to top dead center and mark the flywheel hub and the flywheel to properly re align it when re installing it. Next unhook the timing linkage from the throttle arm. Mark the wires hooked to the switchbox or make a diagram or the colored wires and there position for proper re instalation. Unbolt the flywheel from the flywheel hub. Remove the flywheel. The stator below the flywheel will have to be unbolted and either set aside or unhooked from the switchbox same proceedure make a diagram or note of the wiring. On some engines you can get away with removing the trigger assembly without having to use a hub puller.If a puller is nessecary you may have one or you can see if auto zone has the lend a tool. The trigger should just slide out of the endcap. Be careful not to nick any wiring when re instaling the new trigger. Reverse the order of dismantling to re install the removed parts. Some do not remove the fly wheel to do this but I find it easier for me as the hub is sometimes very difficult and need a shock hit to get it to pop free.

Tank01

Recruit
Re: mercury 90 hp stator nd trigger

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes.