Merc 850 ground straps

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
I replaced a faulty/cracked float bowl on the Merc850 today and it was getting a little dark and I noticed that I was getting a little spark jumping from the screwdriver to the carb idle screw when I was adjusting it.

Could not having the little ground straps from the upper gear housing/exhaust extension to the power head cause something like that? I've been meaning to make a new ones........

Just wondering...

M

Maxz695

Re: Merc 850 ground straps

electrolosis happens for a reason. Proper grounding of all of the engine is very important. Thats why the straps are there

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

electrolosis happens for a reason. Proper grounding of all of the engine is very important. Thats why the straps are there
Right.. I just put the power head back on and forgot to install them... I'm making new ones to go to a cylinder block hole that I can retorque... But what would cause it to spark to the screw driver? I can't see how that strap would....

I guess that is what I'm trying to see..... in the mean time of making the new straps....

M

Maxz695

Mostly the ground straps keep the entire engine uniforn under a solid ground. Lets say on a car you don,t have a ground from your battery to the frame but you have it to the block of the engine. The motor mounts are rubber and the only ground connection is the linkage of the transmission. when you shift gears you will see your headlights at night flicker because of the intermitin grounding of the system rather than a direct consistant groundingbeing established. This would create a spark however minimal due to the creation of the ground by the screwdriver to the carb being your grounded. Electrolisis occurs when even the slightest amount of current is subject to an ungrounded part of the engine, and therefore corrosion becomes appearent. If the spark your seeing is a heavy spark I would suggest checking your plug wires for splits or cracks and jumping to a bracket and such. Also make sure you put a consistant ground to the midsection from the block as the gaskets create a barrier between the exhaust plate, and the block, and the exhaust plate, and the midsection leaving your shift shaft and (EDIT)water tube Has a rubber gromet) (Done edit)as well as the exhaust tube which we all know gets build up from exhaust remnants as an itermiten ground that will create electrolosis.The Driveshaft has a layer of lubricant(Greese) that also beleive it or not creates an intermiten ground. Whe your LU and midsection are in the (Ground)water and there is no consistant ground then current runs rampant and eats your lower units parts wherever ther is bare metal touching the grounded water. If you painted any part of the engine make sure the ground is not over paint and contacts with the metal to create a consistant ground. Becauise the lower unit bolt bite into the aluminum it creats a ground for quite some time. But should the bolts build up a barier then your LU would at that point be subject to electrolosis

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

On a lot of those motors, the main ground is on the lower cowling, near the quick disconnect plug. The lower and upper cowling are mostly mounted in rubber, so the ground straps are necessary to provide a good ground to the block. If you look at the starter, you will see a ground cable on lots of motors. That is because the starter is also mounted in rubber. The starter only works because the starter ground is bolted to the front cowl support which is connected to the main ground.

Skeeter#2

Cadet

I replaced a faulty/cracked float bowl on the Merc850 today and it was getting a little dark and I noticed that I was getting a little spark jumping from the screwdriver to the carb idle screw when I was adjusting it.

Could not having the little ground straps from the upper gear housing/exhaust extension to the power head cause something like that? I've been meaning to make a new ones........

Just wondering...
Very good info on the grounding, when we pulled this powerhead discovered the mount was half full of white powder. Plan to run a ground strap from the lower unit up to the engine mount and then the powerhead and attach a zink. Hope it will solve the problem. some pictures of the engine mount, my question is would you change the engine mount plate in this condition? some of the metal is flaking off in two places the front and the rear or just scrub it real good and use again. Thanks...

Attachments

• PIC_0005.JPG
    PIC_0005.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PIC_0003.JPG
    PIC_0003.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 0
M

Maxz695

Personally and i may get flak but I would take a fine tooth file and gently stroke the surface with full back to front strokes keeping the file ant a 45 degree angle to cleen up the surface. the plate does not look to bad. being that the file is a straight edge if you keep consistant force all the way through the surface should continue the path of the file. be sure to cross hatch starting from the left side up then from the right side up keeping a uniform stroke to keep the surface even. You may have to gently file around the recessed pin but the mount surface it just needs fresh metal to ground to . If in anyway you think you are not capable of this DO NOT TRY IT. Be aware you can hook up a ground from the rear bracket from engine to the engine base plate this will ground the plate between the midsection and the powerhead. Then you can place a ground from the base to the midsection. This will gound out the LU and the bolts that hold the LU are solid to the midsection ( No grounding nesecary). I,ll take photos tomorrow. Edit My first post before editing was correct but when you said mount i was thinking lower motor mount. The exhaust base plate I woud first use a razor to scape the area as best as i could. clean with fuel mixture then detergent then with clean water and dry dry dry it. Possible take primer and coat the entire surface let dry dry dry and put sealant on it with a gasket let dry and then sealant again on the engine base before installing. JMO

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

What year 850? Most (or all) of them have a zinc anode above and behind the propeller. It should not be necessary to ground the gearcase to the midsection, as the bolts will do that. You need Ground straps from block to lower cowling and from starter to cowling support. If you must remove that powder, put a piece of fine sandpaper on a piece of plate glass and lap the exhaust extension. Use a new gasket, when you reassemble.