1985 mariner magnum 150 loss of power

skeeter louie

Seaman
Apon hitting the water it will not go above 2-2500 rpms. And seems to bog down at full throttle. Could this possibly be a stator issue. Or maybe one of the control boxes possibly going bad to not allow it that power to get up and go. Any advice?

Re: 1985 mariner magnum 150 loss of power

I know this reply is late, check to see if you have spark on all cylinders, if you have spark on one side of engine and not the other then switch the switch boxs located on starboard side of engine, if problem moves to other side you have a bad switch box, it is possable to run on 3 cylinders and about 2500 rpm is all youll get.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

First step in troubleshooting is to answer the question: Is it fuel or ignition? Fuel questions could be solved by checking the squeeze bulb when it bogs or removing the air box cover and shooting Sea Foam aerosol into the carb throats with the butterflies at least partially opened. If you pump the bulb and get no response, or ditto with the spray, then you may well have an ignition problem.

On a quick check of ignition problems, how does it do at idle in the water in F gear? After you run it for 15 or so minutes, feel the plugs at the metal base that screws into the block.....are they all the same temp? Is one cold? If 2 are cold then it could be fuel, ala carb dirty, but one would be ignition in my book.

HTH,
Mark

skeeter louie

Seaman

Come to find out i have a scorn piston. In process of looking for new outboard