1966 Mercury 6hp 60 Kiehuser, lower unit reassembly

motorman69

Recruit
Disablement: On removing the lower unit from upper case, I found that after the case-haves are almost apart, they need a little force. "Be careful" not to damage either surface of the aluminum halves. I used a small block of wood to force them apart. The reason for the sluggishness, is the water tube bushing, inside the top of the water pump. On the water pumps that haven't been apart for a while, that bushing gets logged and the copper water-tub and is seized onto the rubber bushing, which then comes out with the copper pipe. While disassembling water-pump, set parts in order as you remove them, so when reassemble occurs, the parts will be in reverse orders.Note' It helps to have a repair manual.

Reassembly: after impeller in in place, and bolts all tightened, lightly grease all gear connections with light amount for ease when refitting. The motor should be in up-right position as in use. The gear shift rod has to be in neutral, as the two halves come together, the spline should be started in gear receptacle cup, when in that position ;with everything lined up, pull on starting rope a complete full rotation. The shaft should slide into place. If it doesn't, just repeat same steps until the two halves slip together with ease. Note' If you have to force it, It's wrong. Stop and start over. This process took me a number of tries. Just remember; everything has to be lined up every try. Have fun with it, it's a small challenge, but well worth saving those few extra dollars the repair shop will charge.

motorman69