1993 Mercury 25hp tiller to console

Bayou Billy

Recruit
I have a 25hp Mercury (OD266465). I would like to convert it to remote controls. I contacted a local Mercury dealer to find the parts I needed. I was told they don't make a kit for a 93 model. I don't need an electric starter, I would just like to convert the steering and throttle. Can some one steer me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

M

Maxz695

Re: 1993 Mercury 25hp tiller to console

Not sure about your year but many have come here for that info you might try the archives and before you start make sure you can finnish it! It will be an undertaking of determination and alot of $$$$ Cha ching. I would start buy researching a bit more finding the cheapest parts you can and watch them on ebay without buying until you know you can get whatever is needed to get the job totally done

pete bauer

Recruit

I've got remote throttle/shifter on my 1987 25hp w/ Electric Start and I'm looking to change it out for a tiller.

Does your tiller setup have elec start?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I have switched a 1984 Merc from remote to tiller and it was not that bad of a job. As stated the cost can be alot and parts cam be fairly hard to get. The best thing to do is contact several of the salvage yards listed here on the forum and see if any of them have all that you need to get the job done and how much the parts cost. Sometimes it's better to trade the motor for one that is newer and setup as you need. Both Billy and Pete should check to see if the linkage that they have will interchange as they very well could or be adapted to fit one anothers. Crowlley Marine web site might have the diagrams for each motors linkage, and is where one could check out. On the motors I've done I have had to switch some of the link rods also. As for the electric start a wireing diagram and harnnes should be all that you will need to get the job done. JMO
Oldman570

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

I checked on your motors and the setups you both have should switch with one another. A PM to each other should get the job done.
Oldman570

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

We here on Iboats are more than happy to help with problems and Welcome to the forum.
Oldman570