1983 mercury 50hp 2 stroke lower carb leak

smoghog4

Recruit
Hello,

this is my first post. I recently bought a 1983 16ft boat with mercury thunderbolt ignition 50hp merc. I first noticed a fuel leak when the outboard was lifted up for towing. I researched this and that seems to be normal, however when tche outboard is down and has even ran for awhile ( it idles fine ). after shutting off there is still some fuel coming out of the air horn ( where the choke blade is ) and leaking down the shaft on the backside of the carb. I dont believe this is normal.
this is just on the lower carb. Before tearing into the lower carb I wanted to verify that this is not a normal/nature of the beast condition.

Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1983 mercury 50hp 2 stroke lower carb leak

You either have a bad inlet needle or float set to hgh

smoghog4

Recruit

Thanks for the help, waiting for float, needle seat and gasket kit to arrive. took me a few days to figure out which parts were the correct to order. Now I need to learn how to lync and sync this thing. Coming from an automotive mechanic background you would think this would be easy, however I am thoroughly confused on the proper procedure. It seems you are trying to get the spark curve correct thru the throttle range without overadvancing causing preignition or detonation. If I have a 100 gallon tank and the boat is strapped to the trailer can I safely lync and sync this outboard or will it need to be done on the water. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Laddies

Banned

Without a load wheel, it will be much safer in the lake either on the trailer of tied to the dock