2004 Mercury XR6 150 HP- Opinions Good/Bad?

Andyfender

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am presently looking at a bass boat that has a 2004 Mercury XR6 150 HP engine. How are these engines? Do I mix the oil with the gas or does it have a reservoir. Does it have a water separator filter?

Thanks,

Andy

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2004 Mercury XR6 150 HP- Opinions Good/Bad?

The 2.5 liter V6 Mercury is the pinnacle of 2 cycle outboard motor design. If its an EFI motor it will start right up and get reasonably good mileage. If its a carb'd motor it will be a little harder to start and simpler to repair if anything ever happens and the mileage still won't be that bad. It won't have a bunch of expensive and hard to diagnose accesories like modern direct injection outboards. Good 40 amp charging system. If it has a water separator its because the boat manufacturer installed one. That wouldnt be a Mercury installed item. It will have an external oil tank you fill every now and then. Some people like oil injection and some don't and disable that system and premix their own. I think oil injection is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Parts for them abound and you can easily make it faster if you want if the previous owner hasnt already. On a light bass boat with a pad bottom and the right prop you can go easily 65-70 MPH with a 150 Merc.

Yes, I Own a 150 XR-6.