1977 Mercury 110 9.8 HP no spark

John Drew

Seaman
I got this motor at a auction. The toe on the lower unit, which protects the prop, has been broken off. but the lower unit is sold. The motor appears it has been used very little. I took out the sparkplugs and they are new, no signs of use.

Problem is I have no spark. The kill switch wires are completely broken in several places and I don't know where they go.

What should I do to get a spark? and another lower unit.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1977 Mercury 110 9.8 HP no spark

Get a manual and fix the wiring. Then check the point gaps and test the condensers. Test the coil. You might find a LU at old mercs.com. In the long run it might be cheaper to buy a complete used motor. There are a lot of them out there

John Drew

Seaman

Get a manual and fix the wiring. Then check the point gaps and test the condensers. Test the coil. You might find a LU at old mercs.com. In the long run it might be cheaper to buy a complete used motor. There are a lot of them out there

How do you test the coils? Is there a schematic of the ignition system on the internet as to where to attah the stop button wires?

mmonti

Cadet

How do you test the coils? Is there a schematic of the ignition system on the internet as to where to attah the stop button wires?

I have a 1968 110 9.8hp, for the stop switch there are 3 wires, a ground and 2 for the switch, they connect to the first 3 screws on the terminal strip on the side of the block, the ground first then the other 2. The ground near the stop switch goes into a scew lug in the case.

I have a good oem coil that is testing at 6.33 ohms, not sure if that is correct ohms but I know this coil is good. Test from the the pin the spark plug wire goes to, to the long lead on the coil. Also it may be your condenser and/or points.

I can get a picture later if you need. Also i am unsure this will help as mine is a 68' and yours is a few years newer.

Mike

Laddies

Banned

Ign. test.

scan0002.jpg

Wiring Diagram.

8.jpg

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am regularly amazed at how awesome you all are at giving great feedback.

John Drew

Seaman

I stand and applaud your expertiese and sharing your vast knowledge to help people like me with technical information I can understand.