2000 Mercury 200 Optimax wont shut off at keyswitch

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class
2000 Mercury 200 Optimax wont shut off at keyswitch. Just replaced ECU. I couldn't get spark unless I put 12 volts to the external fuel pump. Now its running perfect. I just can't turn it off. I did some work on dash. Is there a kill wire on the key switch? Thanks for any help.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Mercury 200 Optimax wont shut off at keyswitch

If using the Commander 2000 or 3000 the kill wire is black with a yellow stripe. When the ign key in the control box goes to off it shorts this wire to ground killing the CDI's and the engine.

Mark

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, found the blk/y air not hooked up to anything, what is the concept. My motor starts up and runs perfect. So is it to have 12 volts when running and turn switch off shorts it out.

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

If using the Commander 2000 or 3000 the kill wire is black with a yellow stripe. When the ign key in the control box goes to off it shorts this wire to ground killing the CDI's and the engine.

Mark

I am confused, with the motor running perfect, after I replaced Ecu. I never had a problem shutting off before. The blk/y wire was not hooked up. This boat does not have a typical key switch. I have a power on off and a push button start. Would I hook wire up to positive side of switch so when turned off no power? Thanks again. Is there any other wire that would cut motor off at key switch or is that the only wire for shuting motor off.?

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mark,
Thanks for the help. Not sure why it worked before the way previous owner had it wired up. But hooked up blk/y wire to ground out on ignition. Problem solved. Thanks again.
Dave