Best Side Mount Control for 200HP Merc V6

KENCARY

Cadet
I am planning on buying the 881170A15 side mount control. I like this one because it has a separate warm up lever like my old OMC control. Is this a good choice?

Merc's website suggests that this control is used for smaller HP OB's but it did not say it would not work with a 200HP V6. I need a side mount and this one looks simple a good choice.

Any comments? Suggestions for alternate?

Ken

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Best Side Mount Control for 200HP Merc V6

Those are made for smaller outboards. The mechanism inside has a shorter throw and it will be stiff with your motor. The larger motor controls either have a push button or you pull the throttle arm out to disengage the shift mechanism. That allows you to advance the throttle for warmups.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best Side Mount Control for 200HP Merc V6

Those are made for smaller outboards. The mechanism inside has a shorter throw and it will be stiff with your motor. The larger motor controls either have a push button or you pull the throttle arm out to disengage the shift mechanism. That allows you to advance the throttle for warmups.

I have a 90 hp and use the Commander 2000 which I bought a couple of years ago which has the fast idle lift lever at the rear of the control and the key is right below it on the rear. I prefer this over others and as you said, it's like the OMC contol I had in years past having the fast idle readily accessible. As Mr. Schefer mentioned, you might check engine applicability. I know Merc makes their controls pretty universal throughout the engine lineup, but have no info on controlling the higher hp engines.

Mark