Gear engaging issues with 1979 Mercury 800 80hp Thunderbolt.

JDHigham

Recruit
Hi, new to this but used the forum to help diagnose a new Rectifier and Lower case removal so I guess I'm in the right spot!

I have a '79 Merc 800 Thunderbolt on a 5m Penguin Huntriss hull and owned it for 2 weeks! No end of small issues so far but all have been easy to overcome and it really was running a treat up until yesterday.. Which brings me to needing serious help!

The engine started but would not engage either Forward or Reverse, it just revved hard. There was no grinding/crunching noise, just nothing.

So this morning i decided to remove the lower case and have a look. I had read that its best to engage forward then remove but obviously i couldn't engage- or so i thought! Once the lower case was approx an inch off middle case it seemed to stick there so i tried engage a gear.. Low and behold the gears seemed to work perfectly fine.

Anyway i removed the Lower case and found that the splines on the top of the drive shaft that joins the crank were in good condition, though, the splines were FULL of grease,gunk etc which makes me think that the issue lies within the crank, possibly no teeth left where the driveshaft locates?

Firstly, is this a possibility and/or common issue? And Secondly, if this is the case, how do i go about repairing it? is it even worth repairing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gear engaging issues with 1979 Mercury 800 80hp Thunderbolt.

I do not think repairing the splines of the crankshaft is possible. Take a look at them and see if they are damaged. The motor would overheat if the driveshaft was not turning. Did you check the shift cable for proper operation?