Cannot figure out Mercury motor mount/ manual tilt mechanism for 1970's 2-stroke

hogges@gmx.net

Recruit
Hi,
I hope somebody has seen this type of Mercury motor mount before and can give me some advice on how to use it. Please see attached pictures.

I have a late 1970's Mercury Mariner 4.5HP outboard. Neither the dealer who sold it to me nor I can figure out how to use the tilt/trolling mechanism. There is a trolling lever which swings a support bracket into place. There is also a strange cable near the lower end of the motor which I have found to release the motor when it is latched into the normal running position.

What I currently do when approaching shallow water is to stop the motor, then reach down and pull on this small piece of cable to release the motor from its fixed position. Then I can tilt up the motor and rest it onto the trolling bracket if desired. It seems awkward that I would have to reach down near the propeller in order to release the motor in shallow water to avoid damage? It also takes my attention away from the direction the boat is going in a critical time when approaching a dock or boat launch.

Regards, Wolfgang in VT

Attachments

• mercury motor mount 2.JPG
    mercury motor mount 2.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 0
  • mercury motor mount 1.JPG
    mercury motor mount 1.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 0