Mercury 110 9.8 1980 Model

Motorcyclemike

Recruit
I have a 9.8 Merc that runns Ok in the test tank...Thats with out the prop turning......How ever at the lake it will start OK and idle well to....Then slipn it In Forward gear....it will die......I can start it In gear and open it up FAST as I can to get past the low RPM'S and it runns great....then back to near ilde it only runns on one cylinder.....any ideas of what i need to do?.....The plugs were new during all the tests and at the lake too....Thanks

Motorcyclemike

Recruit
Re: Mercury 110 9.8 1980 Model

I have a 9.8 Merc that runns Ok in the test tank...Thats with out the prop turning......How ever at the lake it will start OK and idle well to....Then slipn it In Forward gear....it will die......I can start it In gear and open it up FAST as I can to get past the low RPM'S and it runns great....then back to near ilde it only runns on one cylinder.....any ideas of what i need to do?.....The plugs were new during all the tests and at the lake too....Thanks

While replacing the coils i noticed that the tiny braided wire that grounds the coil..and the place on the engine where it touches was very dull and slightly corroded....i cleaned the areas and installed both coils and THIS Sure Could FIX my motors issue.....any way any ideas will sure help......Thanks.......is this braid the ground side for the secondary circuit that feeds the ~ Spark ~ to the plugs?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Yes that could be what is causing the plug to not fire as it should. a good cleaning of that area and some dielectric grease should cure that. You might have to put a small piece of rubber tape between the wire and coil as the rubber on the coil will take a set and not push the wire againest the block good enought to make good contact. Test the coil to be sure it is good and check the wires from under the stator plate for bad insulation or contact with any grounding to the block. Easiest done night and watch for arching as the motor is given more throtal. When checking for spark always have both plugs or wires grounded at all times as damage to the CDI can happen and they are very costly. As for the motor wanting to stall when you give it more gas could be that the carb is not timed and sync correct or the carb needs to be cleaned as the jets could be varnished or the fuel pump needs rebuilt. JMO
Oldman570

Motorcyclemike

Recruit

OK......i took both coils back off and closely looked at the tiny wire braid that grounds the secondary coils to ground.....they was all indented in the plastic area on the coils and i added a piece of plastic tape under them to allow them to really make a good contact with the mounting area of the coils.....and i added a smear of dielectric grease to the braids then re installed both coils snugly tight....I will know more when i get it in the lake and test it out and the carb has also been rebuilt too.......Thanks sooooooo much oldman570........Mike

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just a clarification. IF your engine is a 1980, then it wouldn't have the 110 designation. That stopped in 1978. It would just say 9.8 on the side of the cowling like these. The 1976 / 77 might be a little hard to see, but it's labled an 1150 on the lower cowling

Attachments

• 1976-77 Merc 1150.jpg
    1976-77 Merc 1150.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1983 Merc 115.jpg
    1983 Merc 115.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0