1991 115 mercury

mkhutter

Recruit
I am changing the jet pump on a 91 115 mercury to a prop. Not sure how or what parts I need in the shift linkage. I see the slide bar but that is all. I have a lower unit on order with a shift rod. Any sites that I can see how it all fits? Thanks Mike

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 115 mercury

In looking in my manual, it appears that the shifter cable is standard for Mercs regardless of drive. If you are using a commander 2000 or 3000 with standard Quicksilver cables you should be good to go. On adjustment with your new LU, put the shifter in N on the control box, rotate your shift linkage on the engine to N and install the cable threading the brass barrel up or down the cable to fit into the slot when the tip is connected to the engine shift linkage.

The manual makes no mention of different internal shift linkages as a result of the lower unit used. Therefore one can assume that the shift linkage for a regular lower unit equipped engine is in place; just not connected. The regular shift receptacle in the engine is just below the throttle linkage and the shift rod is operated by an arm attached to the shift linkage that receives the cable from the remote. With both lower units removed, look up into the mid section and if the rod is there you will see it near the front of the mid section housing....right where it can accept the shift shaft from your new LU.

Best I can do.

Mark