mercury 175 sportjet xr2 loss of power,

scottconsoli

Cadet
I have a sport jet 175 mercury xr2 1999, in an aluminm hewescraft boat, I am not sure but I have noticed that there is a loss of power, it definetly is running slower and a little rougher, i was at cruising speed last week and it suddenly stalled out, has done this a few times since, I mix the fuel as the previous owner had disconeected the oil pump, but i got worried that I had under mixed the fuel so I added a little oil to it, it is still not smoking much and am just trying to get through this tank and start fresh, waiting on new plugs to install as well, i pulled the plugs init now and cleaned them and it helped a little but coud they just be shot? I am hoping i just mixed the fuel a little rich but again, not too much smoke, but def. a little, I also when i mixed the gas just poured the oil in and then added gas, does this mix well enough? the boat seems like it hits some better and worse points of firing, kind of has a knock as well but these motors always see to run a little rough, stator? reeds? Also noticed for the first time that the hose that runs from the bottom of the motor back to top of oil holder seems like it is blowing air out with a little oil in it,maybe just never noticed before, should I just bring it in for a tune up, will a tuneup check for the stator and reeds or just do typical plugs and such? seems like its running at about 3800 rpm, but swear it used to be a little more, could it be some ting simple like stretched throttle cable? It is definetly slower overall, but i would say 30%, I know i am all over the place here but I am ok with engines to some extent but this one is odd, when it was running i tried squeezing ball, no dufference, also hit the choke on key switch with no change, whats next?

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercury 175 sportjet xr2 loss of power,

One thing you need is if you are pre mixing you need one of those measuring jugs that has the measurements on it (so many gallons of gas in equals so many pints of oil) this will make it much easier for you. But pre mixing is good--lots safer for you imho.