1995 40hp Force ignition problem

canadian06

Recruit
I am currently trying to diagnose an ignition problem with my 40hp force by mercury. It was out on the water the past two days and worked great but when I tried to start it today it wouldnt "fire". It sat in the driveway on the trailer overnight and now it work start. Im just wondering what could have happened to cause this.

I pulled the top spark plug out and it doesnt appear to have any spark. All of the wires are still conected and I cant find a grounding fault.

Any ideas?

I also have a 1966 merc 500 in the garage. would I be better off just putting this motor on instead of the force?

capeape56

Cadet
Re: 1995 40hp Force ignition problem

had a similar problem with my '95 Force 40 HP. Died out on the lake and wouldn't fire. Checked just about every damn thing I could but had to call in some expert help. Problem turned out to be a broken stator (under the flywheel). No guarantee thats it but it is one of the simpler causes of the problem and not too expensive to replace. You just need the right tools and a bit of luck or a friend with the know how. If not that, it could be coils not firing (unlikely) or worse case, a failed CDI (also not likely and expensive to replace - I bought one so I know about that expense). If you have to get one, source it on line, much cheaper. As a troubleshooting tool, I'd suggest going over circuits with a multi-meter, including the wiring harness from the ignition switch to the pin connector on the engine. Some mechanics also use a 'dummy' harness that plug directly into the engine wiring connection and eliminate or identify problems with the harness. Hope it turns out to be a simple fix. Good Luck.
Capeape56