Mercury 50hp brown band removing lower leg to change impeller

sp2ko6

Recruit
Hi my friend has a mercury brown band 50hp outboard and is in the process of trying to change his impeller but cant get the lower unit off the engine all the bolts have been taken out of the bottom of the engine and the lower unit has dropped down about half an inch the problem we are having is how to disconnect the shift linkage we cant find where the rod disconnects any help would be greatly appreciated and pics if possible.:confused:
Cheers.

Stuart.

bigtrout1949

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury 50hp brown band removing lower leg to change impeller

Check a service manual. I would suspect that the shift rod was not lubed when reassembled and it rusted. My 84 merc.(assuming that is what you mean by brown band) just came apart with a little encouragement. I found an online repair manual at http://servicemanualvault.com for around $5.00 Good luck

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Stuart, The upper and lower shift shaft coupler is a slip fit. So either the driveshaft rusted into the crankshaft, or the upper and lower shift rods rusted together in the coupler. Make sure the gearcase will not fall more than an inch or so, and put some levers or wedges and gently apply downward pressure. Use some penetrating oil on shift shaft coupler.

sp2ko6

Recruit

Thanks for the replies the shaft must have rusted together the outboards I have had before had a nut to disconnect the gear shaft thats why it was baffling me I will let my friend know that it should come away I told him not to put pressure on it before incase he broke something hopefully fingers crossed we will be able to slide the lower unit away with some pressure to get the impeller changed.:D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Only those nasty non-Mercs have bolts and nuts holding the shift shafts.

1960 Starflite

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lots of help on this site. Now a question I may be able to help on! I had that problem on my old 650. I used wood blocks under the skeg and left an inch clearence. Then I bumped the starter a couple of times and it released and sat on the blocks. My driveshaft was rusted into the crankshaft.

Tom on Buckeye Lake