76 Mercury 1150 SKEG SIZE????

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class
Skeg has been sheared off of my lower. I'll be using the waterjet at the shop to cut a new one out. But since mine is so badly sheared off, I have no idea what size it was originally? Can anyone give me a base of the skeg width, and a length from the "bullet" down to the bottom? That way I can draw it up in CAD and jet away?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 76 Mercury 1150 SKEG SIZE????

Simplistic answer: Length is just longer than the diameter of the prop...to protect it from things like a log that you cross floating, or a rock.

Rear is vertical and if you radius off the rear of the bullet you radius around to vertical and go straight down....parallel with the mid section.

Width at the bottom is about 2" for strength (front to rear).

Off the front of the bullet radius around till you have a chord that will connect to the front of the bottom.

That should work for you.

Check existing stub for material thickness and obviously vee the leading edge somewhat.

HTH,
Mark

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Simplistic answer: Length is just longer than the diameter of the prop...to protect it from things like a log that you cross floating, or a rock.

Rear is vertical and if you radius off the rear of the bullet you radius around to vertical and go straight down....parallel with the mid section.

Width at the bottom is about 2" for strength (front to rear).

Off the front of the bullet radius around till you have a chord that will connect to the front of the bottom.

That should work for you.

Check existing stub for material thickness and obviously vee the leading edge somewhat.

HTH,
Mark
Thats what I basically made it up from already. Thanks for confirming. Time to fire the waterjet and play around a bit.. :)

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Probably already done. But on mine it's 8.5" from the center of the prop shaft to the bottom of the skeg.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably already done. But on mine it's 8.5" from the center of the prop shaft to the bottom of the skeg.
Appreciate it.. Ill double check. I was hunting for scrap material and re-check my dimension. But that is just about right according to the math with my situation.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

They were avail and pretty cheap from mercury. The expensive part was having them welded on.....

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

They were avail and pretty cheap from mercury. The expensive part was having them welded on.....

Fortunetly I work in a custom fab shop... :) Hence the waterjet availability...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, Sneak up on someone's motor and make a cardboard cutout. Most any larger OB will do as a template. The original skeg was straight down. Newer skegs are swept back, which supposedly gives better efficiency.

Likely the skeg is forged or treated in some way to make it tougher than a casting would be.

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, Sneak up on someone's motor and make a cardboard cutout. Most any larger OB will do as a template. The original skeg was straight down. Newer skegs are swept back, which supposedly gives better efficiency.

Likely the skeg is forged or treated in some way to make it tougher than a casting would be.
Most people would frown on that..... HAHA

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Most people would frown on that..... HAHA

Yeah their Dobermans might have you for lunch. Grin.

On the swept back part, That may have been a styling gesture; dunno. Leading edge, yes on efficiency, trailing edge, and I have seen them, doubt it.

Mark