Mercury 115 2-stroke Stator Problem

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice
My trusted and trouble-free 15-year old Mercury 115 HP 2-stroke packed up on me for the first time. After a great day at sea, and a long rest on a sunny sand reef, there was just no way to re-start the engine. Not the slightest pop. At first, I thought I had flooded it (this can happen rather easily on a 2-stroke carburetor engine that spent an afternoon tilted up in the sun), but no, it wasn't flooded. I practically exhausted the battery, and finally opted for a tow home.

Next day, with a fresh battery, the thing still wouldn't start. I checked for spark, and unfortunately, the ignition was dead as a doornail, on all four cylinders. I pulled the boat out of the water, and hoped for a frayed wire somewhere, but feared a more substantial issue under the flywheel. Not having a flywheel puller, I brought the boat to the shop (first time in my life!). They diagnosed a dead stator, and as I write, I'm waiting for the new part to arrive (and losing a few wonderful sunny days, but obviously boats never conk out in the dead of winter).

My question is: how did the stator fry? I would have thought that these things were kinda resistant and trouble-free for the life of the engine. Thinking it over however, I remember that a couple of years ago, my boat would go dead while running, with no more action at the key. Shake a few wires here and there, and it would start up again. I then found that there were some loose grounds. I re-tightened them, and everything returned to normal. However, I always feared that by running with an open circuit, even if it was only a matter of a few seconds while the engine bogged down, may have fried my stator windings (or some diodes which may happen to be in there somewhere).

Could that be the explanation to my woes? Anybody experienced a similar problem?

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury 115 2-stroke Stator Problem

Just FYI my boat is back from the yard. It took two weeks to get the new stator (uhggh!), and less than an hour for the mechanic to pull the flywheel and put in the new part. Started up fine, except that by now, my vacation is coming to an end and there is little sense in putting the boat back in the water. So I enjoyed the sound of my Merc 115 running on muffs in the yard. The mechanic was good on the practical side, kind of light on the theory side. When asked about the risks of running with a bad ground in the system, he was inclined to think it could damage the stator. Indeed, the Mercury official manual says that this can toast the stator.

My advice: Tighten up all those nuts and bolts on the electrical panel. A bad ground somewhere can spoil two weeks of otherwise good holidays!

BTW, I took the roasted stator back home, and tested resistances against the figures announced in the Maintenance Manual. Definitely shorted inside, although there is no sign whatsoever of heat, or breakage, or frayed wires. It just doesn't work any more.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

You've done your homework! If the stators connection to the battey (either - or +) is lost, the load will be lost and the stator will spike high votages. If the load returns during a spiking period the high momentary current levels cause abnormal heat to form in the stator that will break down the coating on the wire in the windings. Eventually two coil windings touch and POOF... the stator is toast.

The stator you have has a high speed and a low speed ignition coil, (two total). The rest of the coils are for the charging circuit. You didn't say if it was performing poorly or not before it refused to start. You did mention some prior problems that would lead me to believe the low speed winding might have been going bad for a while.

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the confirmation, Jlawsen!

Actually, the motor always performed perfectly prior to the incident. Other than last year's problem where the grounds on the electrical panel went loose, everything was just fine. The awesome thing about this incident is that on the outbound leg of my day at sea (with small kids etc. on board), the engine was just running like a top. I turned it off at destination, and... no ignition whatsoever when I attempted to start up on the homeward leg. It shows that it makes a helluva lot of sense to have well-charged cellphones on board, within range of a relay antenna, to call for help when sh... happens. I can easily picture a number of circumstances (rough weather or sea, tide going the wrong way) where this very minor annoyance could have taken on a far more disastrous hue.

All I hope for now is that this new stator will last at least as long (15+ years) as its predecessor. BTW, the part that was installed is a Sierra. The OEM part that came out carried no markings as to its manufacturer. Any issues here?

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no issues if it the right one......

Sierra electronics are "lifetime Warranty"

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice

Just one last question: in your opinion, is there any risk that the high voltage peaks that toasted the stator, may have also had some sort of chain effect on the regulator/rectifier or the Capacitor Discharge Modules? Joe Fixit at the yard thought not, but then he was talking out of experience more than actual knowledge of the electrics of this motor.