2012 Mercury 9.9 oil pressure question

sag2

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a new 9.9 and West Marine RIB. I have about one hour on it and I have a question about the oil light. It takes about 5 seconds (seems like 5 minutes) for the red oil warning light to go off, cold or warm, on every start. Does anyone else have a newer four stroke mercury and how long does your light stay on? Thanks in advance.

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2012 Mercury 9.9 oil pressure question

I don't know if they use a lighter oil for breakin. The older 9.9's had a switch set at 2.5 #. The techs on this site are very good, but with a new motor I would call Mercury Tech support on the phone and establish a case number. They were very good and you need to have there recomendations before you even go to the dealer so you know some of the possible problems. Some of the dealers I have come accross don't want to be bothered with small hp engines. Good Luck!

sag2

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2012 Mercury 9.9 oil pressure question

Got several replies on the inflatables forum from other 9.9 owners and they all say it takes a few seconds for the light to go out. I used the quart of Mercury 10-30 that came with the motor.