1988 Mariner 115 HP / Inline 6 / Rough Idel

MikeCustomBaitPainter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When in neutral having a rough idle & at times when I go to put the motor in gear it shuts down , when I do get the motor in gear & running everything is ok.

Any Thoughts , Maybe Fuel Filter ?

Mike

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Mariner 115 HP / Inline 6 / Rough Idel

maybe your idle is set too low ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Likely carbs are dirty or mis-adjusted. Is this motor new to you?

MikeCustomBaitPainter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got the boat in Feb this year , during any fill up's when I do my oil / gas mix , I always add in berrymans b-12.

Mike

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, so you are supporting an additive company. What makes you think it will clean the fuel passages, when diluted by 12 gal of fuel? Why will it clean the air passages? Best to tear carbs down, soak them in full strength carb cleaner and rebuild them with new gaskets, inlet needles and seats and floats. You might check link and synch as well.

kvjimbo

Seaman Apprentice

What are your idle RPMs in and out of gear. My Inline 6 idles better a little lean and has a better hole shot a little rich.

I run it a little rich.

MikeCustomBaitPainter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well , Chris ..... I don't really think anything , when it comes to outboards , I have no clue , Any info I've obtained concerning my outboard has been from iboats , I'm not supporting anything , I was told by a member here which rebuilds outboards to use B-12 , it helps keep the carb's clean etc. With that said , I'll have to fine someone to rebuild my carbs.

Mike

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Sorry Mike, I am a bit sensitive to folks telling me what great things additives do. Most/all of them have no analysis or emperical evidence to support their claims and are therefore snake oil, IMHO. I am an engineer, and consider that if you have no analysis to support your claims, you are a marketeer.

MikeCustomBaitPainter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I came here to ask about my motor ,

So , can someone tell me now what brand name is a good full strength carb cleaner ? Is there a kit I can purchase to rebuild them with new gaskets, inlet needles and seats and floats ? Any Info would be "Great"

Something in general , Don't Let The Little Things In Life Get You Bent & Yes I'm Talking About A can Of B-12 ,

DVTO2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I came here to ask about my motor ,

So , can someone tell me now what brand name is a good full strength carb cleaner ? Is there a kit I can purchase to rebuild them with new gaskets, inlet needles and seats and floats ? Any Info would be "Great"

Something in general , Don't Let The Little Things In Life Get You Bent & Yes I'm Talking About A can Of B-12 ,

Here a place for carb kits: http://www.**********/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/parts.html

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Carb kits may be had at iBoats, ebasicpower and lots of other places. You can search on the OEM carb kit part number.