Mercury tracker 40hp 2 stroke 2cylibder won't idle low speed when warm 2003

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Engine starts, idles , runs fine at 3500 rpm. When I leave marina for a 10 minute ride

When gets warm and I back her off to enter Marina it dies at low speed

Starts right up if you up the throttle.

Tried new gas, pulled the carb and cleaned properly

Good pee stream

Any ideas?

Is there a warm idle kick down someplace?

Single carb, oil injected, to cylinder 2003

Please post any ideas

Ona pontoon boat I ont want to have to pull it this early

Danny

Clintjensen7

Recruit
Re: Mercury tracker 40hp 2 stroke 2cylibder won't idle low speed when warm 2003

Engine starts, idles , runs fine at 3500 rpm. When I leave marina for a 10 minute ride

When gets warm and I back her off to enter Marina it dies at low speed

Starts right up if you up the throttle.

Tried new gas, pulled the carb and cleaned properly

Good pee stream

Any ideas?

Is there a warm idle kick down someplace?

Single carb, oil injected, to cylinder 2003

Please post any ideas

Ona pontoon boat I ont want to have to pull it this early

Danny

I'm having the same problem, boat runs great until you run it just below WOT for awhile.Then it idles down really low until it kill's,Normally right when I try to trailer it with 30 or so onlookers giggling at me struggling to get it started and back on the trailer. I've replaced the fuel line,bulb,Filters,Spark plugs,Rebuilt the Carb,Ran Seafoam, left the gas cap loose to vent, pumped the bulb,and still it idles way down and kills. It's almost like the timing changes. Please tell me you solved this problem. Thanks,Clint

merc150

Petty Officer 2nd Class
might be your reed valves. Take the air cleaner off start the motor and see if there is any gas spitting back out of the carb. My 2003 150 carb merc was doing the same exact thing for the past 3 months. Mine would idle decent when the motor was cold and idle really low and sometimes stall after it was warmed up I had 2 broken reeds and I changed them out with Boyensen and problem fixed!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
On my 90 hp the manual says in the static position the reeds have a .020 gap from their housing. Probably the same for yours since the diameter of the assembly would be smaller on the smaller engine.

Carbs off.
Intake manifold off.
Reed assembly sitting on the front of the block and with a screwdriver prise assembly off.

Glad 150 chimed in. That one had me stumped.

Mark