loctite 1 = red? for waterpump recommendation?

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm replacing my water pump in my 2000 90hp carbed merc. I have the whole kit. The instructions say to use loctite #1. Looking at loctite information I see loctite red and blue but no mention of #1. I would assume #1 is red, but not sure. I read up on red and it says it takes heat to remove. I'm not crazy about that so I'm tempted to use blue instead.

What's ya'll take on this?

From what I understand the main benefit of the loctite is to seal the bolt off to prevent corrosion not necessarilly to lock in place.

tks
don

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: loctite 1 = red? for waterpump recommendation?

Red loctite isnt that spectacular and anyone who says it takes heat to remove it has never tried removing it without heat. I use it on everything and it only works marginally better than blue.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: loctite 1 = red? for waterpump recommendation?

We used Locktite in industry all the time. Ours was date coded and used with their primer. We had a picky customer.

Red is used for securing things that you do not want to remove. Blue is the preferred color for things that you assemble that will later have to be disassembled without any extra supporting effort. Use blue. Since you usually can't easily buy the primer, just ensure that your mating surfaces are clean. Running a tap into a hole before you apply it and including something like brake cleaner spray, on an old set of threads, will help to ensure that it stays put.

If you don't believe me get some of both and put a pair of bolts and nuts together, let them sit for a few days and have at it. "The Proof is in the Pudding".

Mark