1976 mercury 500 50hp starting issue

Ronjensen

Recruit
im trying to get my boat back into the water for the first time in about 4 yrs and when i turn the key i get nothing. i can start it by using a screwdriver to touch pos and neg poles on starter solenoid and it runs great and i can turn it off at the key. i have replaced the solenoid and still cant start with the key. do i need a new switch and if so how much do they cost. is this something i can do myself or should i take it somewhere to have it done. any help is appreciated

Ron

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1976 mercury 500 50hp starting issue

Try cleaning all contacts and check wiring from sol. to switch.

im trying to get my boat back into the water for the first time in about 4 yrs and when i turn the key i get nothing. i can start it by using a screwdriver to touch pos and neg poles on starter solenoid and it runs great and i can turn it off at the key. i have replaced the solenoid and still cant start with the key. do i need a new switch and if so how much do they cost. is this something i can do myself or should i take it somewhere to have it done. any help is appreciated

Ron

My mercury 800 is doing the exact same thing. Have you found the source to the problem?

Laddies

Banned

If you can jump the solenoid and it starts check the voltage at the small lug, if it don't show voltage either the ign or neutral switch could be bad in the control box, a bad connection at the plugin or bad wire

79Glastron

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you check for power at the solenoid with the key to start position also check the ground, its the other small wire. Does the electric choke work?