1980 or 1981 mercury 7.5 shift lever problem.

mrteeman

Cadet
hello

From the Netherlands and new to the forum. Forum proved so helpfull this far (in combination with seloc manual) that i hope someone has some advice and or tips for me.

I've bought a 14 foot boat with a mercury 7.5. There was steam and barely any water coming from the tell tale, so first thing i did is give it a little service
- impeller check (it was quite new)
- new gear oil
- cleaning the flush tube which was full of dirt
- a little carb overhaul (dissassembling, cleaning, added a few misking gaskets and assembling again)
- removed the rod for the reverse lock, since the clip was broken and something to guide it in the shift cam follower appears to be broken. Planned it for the winter as a project

Lower unit went on easily and i had the lower unit shift shaft in forward gear and the lever in forward as well. Shifting it with a plier was easy between forward and neutral, but getting it in and out of reverse needed quite some force.

Took the boat out for a little cruise to test my engine and adjust the carb. I got forward and neutral and a little bit reverse, but the angle of the lever within which the gear stays in reverse is pretty small. I can't adjust the shift lever position in such a way to make it work. either it stick in reverse kind of, but going from forward to neutral position on lever keeps the gear in forward or it wont' get in neutral, or get in neutral, but when i rev up it shoots out of neutral (lever is going beyond the reverse when popping out of reverse, not towards the neutral side). it works ok if i keep the the lever in the right position with my hand.

is this normal that the angle for the reverse is so narrow? or did i mess something up with applying too much force to get the lower unit in reverse with pliers? any tips for a quickfix?

regards teackele