Dead engine after running

RW201

Recruit
I have a 2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS on my bass boat. After running down the lake to my first spot I put the gear shift in neutral and turned off the engine. The next time I turned the egnition key (gauges go through a pre start beep sequence)
the gauges froze half way through the cycle and it seemed like the battery, which is brand new and fully charged, was dead. I checked the battery cables, fuses, since the power trim wouldn't work either, eventhough the hydraulic jack plate would. I tried to check to see if it was in gear but the gear shift would not go into forward only reverse. After setting sail for the boat ramp on the trolling motor I tried again about ten minutes later. The motor fired right up and I fished the rest of the day. This has occured the last two times I have taken it out with the same results. What could be causing this? and what should I check?

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Dead engine after running

I'm by no means an expert, however it sounds like you may have a HOT wire that is grounding out to something...I know someone who's power trim wires (in throttle shift lever) were worn through and making contact on his shift cable connectors which caused shorting of everything and actually melted one the connectors to the point it fell off...dissabling his shifting..........you know that engine is creating massive amperage right..lol...hope thats it.
FM