removing starter from 1984 mercury 60hp 3cyl?

alittleobsessed

Recruit
hello all,
I was on the water today when my engine wouldn't start. just a single click when I turned the key. after consulting my friend his reply was simply "beat on it" having tried everything else I did just that and surprisingly it started right up... after getting it back to the ramp it wouldn't start again the same single click. took it in and they said it was the soliniod, replaced that and it still does a single click. decided it was the starter... here is the problem,

I can't figure out how to remove this starter without tearing the entire engine apart. I have remove the two upper bolts that hold on a U shaped bracket and now the starter wiggles but doesn't come out. I can't see any way for it to slide down. possibly up if I got it at the right angle but the only way I can see to take it out is by removing the whole front panel of the engine to get at the bottom two bolts then pull it out sideways. that seems like a hell of a lot of work to remove a starter so if there is an easier way please let me know!

thanks so much!
Mike

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: removing starter from 1984 mercury 60hp 3cyl?

Welcome to the world of turning wrenches. If it's in your way it's gotta go.:)