1994 Mercury 150hp Black Max - Fluctuating Voltage / High Voltage / Voltage Regualtor

paul_yegr

Cadet
Okay.

I have a 1994 Mercury 150hp Black Max.

Serial Number: OGO77269 or 0G077269 can't really tell if they are zeros or Os.

Bought the boat about a month ago. First sea experience showed that the motor was having trouble keeping cool.

Replaced water pump / impeller (which had a gasket out of order and a impeller that needed to be replaced) as well as the two thermostats (very corroded). The engine stays pretty cool now; I feel like that problem is fixed.

The one piece of bad news that I do get is that the mechanic thinks he see's a slight 'wobble' in the flywheel, but nothing he thinks justifying keeping off the water. He says he'll keep an eye out for one for me. While at his shop, his coworker mechanic says he thought he heard a bearing noise, when he was walking by and my guy was working on it. My mechanic says he sees a slight wobble but doesn't hear any bearing problem noise.

Two weeks ago we made about a 10 mile run offshore (southern California) and did some trolling around looking for kelp paddies. On the way home running after running at about 3500rpms for 20 minutes I noticed that the voltage gauge was pretty much pinned at 16 volts and then got an alarm from the Lowrance (sonar/gps) unit, signalling a High Voltage Alarm of 18 volts I think.

We turn the alarm off, we are almost home anyways. At the time didn't really know what too much voltage could harm anyways. At least it's not a low voltage alarm, I remember thinking. After getting back on shore and doing some research it seems that this high voltage problem is really nothing to take lightly.

Today the mechanic comes by and we do some tests.

1. He checks the voltage regulators and says that they both ohm test fine according to the book. (I think I remember reading somewhere on this site that you need to test these with a amptest or ammtest not an ohm test, but who am I to question the mechanic)...

Also, the tachometer is reading high I think. At idle the tach is reading like 1500rpms and when we throttle up to somewhere that should be ballpark 1500 the tach is reading like 3000rpms. A sign that I think the voltage regulator is failing? After testing both tachometer leads (one on each voltage regulator) they are both reading higher rpms than the boat is really running at.

Note: These are the clear (yellow) potted voltage regulators not the black ones that are OEM replacements and not CDI's.

2. A larger red wire, that goes to the trim solenoids, and the 4 red wires from the 2 voltage regulators are all on one post on the starting solenoid. While the engine is running a multimeter at the positive on the starting solenoid and grounded to the engine shows it bouncing back and forth from 13.5-14 volts down to 3, 4, 6 volts just for a instant at a time. At the same time if I put the multimeter at the battery terminals it shows a rock steady voltage usually in the high 13's.

The mechanic suspects the way the dual batterys are hooked up and thinks that maybe there is some arcing or something is loose on the negative battery cables. So I grab a set of jumper cables out of the car and directly hook up one battery to the (+) starting solenoid and the (-) to a good ground on the engine. The same results are made with the fluctuating voltage when tested at the starting solenoid and rock steady when tested at the battery terminals.

The mechanic now goes into the cuddy and thinks that because the purple wire from the ignition switch is powering all of the engine gauges that this somehow would be causing this. I cannot wrap my head around how this could be. To eliminate this as a cause of the fluctuating voltage we start the engine, disconnect the wiring harness and turn the perko switch to off. So now the engine is a stand alone entity. right? Same results. Reconnect the wiring harness and turn the motor off. stumped.

So I come back to the posts here and read...

The stator has 2 sets of windings on it. One feeds the voltage regulator. The other feeds the ignition system. They should be totally independent of each other. You should be able to totally short out the voltage regulator and not kill the engine.

Check for continuity between either of the yellow wires and all the other wires from the stator. There should be none except to the other yellow wire. If there is any, the stator is bad.

If that's good, check the stator output to the ignition with a DVA. I would bet it drops drastically when you connect the voltage regulator. It shouldn't. If it does, pull the flywheel and take a look for loose magnets, or contact between the flywheel and the stator. Thought is a bad flex plate or upper main bearing allowing the flywheel to contact the stator when a little pressure is put on it by loading the alternator coil, causing a magnetic short.

The 2v AC output to ground from each yellow wire is of no significance. It would just indicate you have a sensitive meter. The voltage between them should be about 15V at idle, up to 90V at WOT. It does indicate that there is probably no electrical interconnection between the coils. (as it should be) as one would expect the readings to ground to be different, and at least one significantly higher if there were an internal short.

In any case, the trouble is under the flywheel.

hope it helps
John

from post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=432446&highlight=Mercury+black+max,+voltage+regulator

j_Martin seems to be the expert in this field. Any comments would this flywheel theory be the reason for the fluctuating voltage and the pegged high voltage at high rpms? Or any other ideas or comments? I'd probably rather the problem not be something like upper or lower bearings...

Thank you very much.
Dustin

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1994 Mercury 150hp Black Max - Fluctuating Voltage / High Voltage / Voltage Regua

As i understand it,running test should be done with a DVA + meter.Bench testing (disconnected),diode tests and resistance tests.
If your peaking at 16V your regulator isn't doing its job.
Check battery water level has not evaperated down and top up if required.They tend to bubble away at high volts.My 88 V6 is unregulated,so it peaks at 17V WOT,then quickly settles at 13.5V at idle.

paul_yegr

Cadet
Re: 1994 Mercury 150hp Black Max - Fluctuating Voltage / High Voltage / Voltage Regua

The only reason I'm thinking it could actually get to 16, 17 , 18 volts without the regulator being bad is a short. If there is a short, the regulator will give as much voltage as the 'short' is asking for basically...

Is my thinking...

j_martin

Admiral

The most likely source of over voltage on that engine is one of the voltage regulators. You can disconnect them one at a time, connecting the tachometer wire (grey) to the one that is running, and test it. Either will support the battery, or a bank of batteries in a stand alone situation. In fact you can connect each to a different battery if you wish, provided they share a common ground.

The ohmmeter tests will find a grossly burned out regulator, but not one that is malfunctioning in the regulation part, perhaps by a failed internal solder connection or small component, like a resistor.

It is concievable that a bad battery would also allow over voltage, but not likely till the battery is so bad it's unusable.

A short will lower the voltage. The VR tries to make it up, but can't. It will never go over voltage.

Are you testing voltage at the battery with a good meter? You probably actually have a problem as signaled by your electronics.

Be sure all your battery connections are clean, bright, and tight.

BTW, visible runout in the top bearing is cause for concern.

hope it helps
John

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your problem may actually be fairly simple to fix if other damage hasn't already occured. High voltage levels are typically caused by loss of load. A momentary losses of load will cause voltage spikes and give you high readings. Typically the problem is corrosion and often its at the battery terminals. It's important to remember that even though we often refer to the negative battery terminal as ground, it is not and is just as important in the circuit as the positive terminal. It only takes one corroded terminal in a primary circuit to start the problem so check them all and clean them even if they don't look bad.

The other thing that bothers me is the wobble in the flywheel. If this is actually happening you either have a upper main going on you or a lose magnet. If it's noticible at idle you can only imagine what's happening at 5,000-6000 rpm. That is nothing to take lightly.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You have the red or grey green flywheel? , The red 2 piece flywheel will look like its wobbling at an idle. I myself would not worry as all they flywheels have a little wobble as due to crank end play. Just make sure all magnets are in place (visual inspection) as posted earlier. You have a bad reg/rect that was probably damaged due to to cooling problem as they bleed they heat to the exhaust plate.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

I just have this to add. If you have all your gauges and accessories being powered off the purple ignition you really should take that wire and where it goes to power your gauges install a relay. Then run a fused line from battery to the relay and have that power the gauges and accessories when the relay is turned on by the purple wire. That way your ignition and engine harness aren't overloaded.

paul_yegr

Cadet

I'm sorry. I think I have to reply and say that after replacing both voltage regulators, my problem is fixed. I think I could have just replaced one and been fine, but I figured I'd just replace both... Hooray.