Tilt and Trim pump

tm3912

Cadet
Hello, I have a 1984 SS160. 60 hp Mercury probably about the same age or a little newer. At the console, on the throttle handle I have buttons for tilt and trim function. Lately the buttons have been "touchy" when I push them I hear a clicking sound but nothing happens. Finally if I push the buttons enough the motor will lift or lower. As you can guess something has finally given out. I push the same buttons and hear the familiar "click" but nothing happens. I have tried it a gazillion times and have accepted that it is just not going to happen. I should also say that my motor, once lifted, will not stay up but slowly lowers back down. I think that is probably a separate issue. I am attaching a picture of a TT pump that someone else posted on this site but is exactly as mine. (at least that is what it says it is when I enter the identifying numbers off of the unit.)

I have worked on cars before and have some knowledge. I am a fast learner but I have almost zero experience with boats and pumps, etc. I'm not even sure where to start. Do people think it is the pump? Maybe a selanoid? Do the pumps have Selanoids? Is it a bad contact on throttle handle.

I should also say that I have had a leak and water has entered my boat. I had about a foot of water. Yes it was bad. So the pump I am attaching a picture of was under water. Not sure if that matters or not. One last puzzle piece. My motor was down and since the TT would not work I couldn't transport my boat home because the bottom of the motor was almost dragging on the ground. So I used an allens wrench and took out a screw on one of the cylinders that actually lifts the motor. I then manually lifted the motor and the hydraulic fluid came rushing out (expected that) However the fluid was milky white. Which I understand means water is in the fluid.

Sorry this is so long I'm trying to answer all questions. If you need more info let me know. Thanks guys. trim and tilt.jpg