Mercury 115 outboard dies once i throttle up in gear

Domenic12

Recruit
Hello,
I have a 1984 17' stingray with a mercury 115 hp outboard. I had carbs rebuilt last year, so not sure if thats the problem.

When i throttle up in nuetral it runs good. Unfortunitly, when i put it into gear and throttle fully it bogs then dies. I was looking at it today and some of the wires are corroded off the switchbox.

Does anyone know if this could be the problem? It has worked sometimes when i keep trying, but mostly it does the above.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 115 outboard dies once i throttle up in gear

Probably not. Moving the throttle to WOT position advances the spark and opens the carb butterflies. It takes energy to provide power to get on plane. If you aren't getting good fuel to your carbs in an adequate supply to satisfy the energy needs, it will bog down. Idle requires very little fuel.

Since you had the carbs redone and everything there is ok then it must be somewhere else. One quick check is to squeeze your primer bulb when you attempt to accelerate. If it works, try a new fuel pump diaphragm. If not, possibly a clogged fuel filter, bad fuel, clogged screen in tank, tank vent not working for a few things.

If you haven't done anything to affect the timing and the wires with bad insulation aren't shorting out, problem is fuel. Switch box should be ok if idle is ok, I would think....nothing to change except frequency of firing.

Mark

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Mercury 115 outboard dies once i throttle up in gear

I had similar issues with my 1969 Mercury 500. I rebuilt the entire fuel system and properly adjusted the carbs.