1997 Mariner 25 hp, no spark on one cylinder

Time2fish

Cadet
Well here is my issue at hand, I think I am on the right track I just want some assurance before I go any further (money!)

While on the lake today when I went to restart my motor (hand pull) it wouldn't start and finally trolled back to ramp. Got home and started tracking down my problem. I am not getting spark on the top cylinder so I swapped the green/white wire from bottom coil to green/yellow wire from top coil and now the bottom one doesn't fire, so I am almost positive I can eliminate my coils being the problem. So if the research I have done on here is correct I would say my switch box (power pack) is the problem, right?

I did talk to my local marine mechanic and of course they want to hook it up and look at it for $85 an hour and I don't really want to have to go that route if I can, any other suggestions?

Thanks
Rob

Time2fish

Cadet
Re: 1997 Mariner 25 hp, no spark on one cylinder

One thing I forgot to ask, is there any way to check the switch box to make sure that is my problem?

Time2fish

Cadet
Re: 1997 Mariner 25 hp, no spark on one cylinder

One more thing, I was just thinking...if I do have spark on one side of the switch box, I think then I would probably guess that the stator/trigger is putting out, if not then I would have no spark, or is my thinking off....