Mercury 200 EFI .....Intermittent Loss of Power

ChrisD80

Recruit
I have had this boat for over 6 months now, I have ran the water numerous times with no problems at all. Starting about a month ago , I would take the boat out and I could get on top with no problems, but with in minutes the motor would bog out, and loose power, it would run about 7 mph and turn 3000 rpm. If I just leave my foot on the peddle there will be times about 10 minutes later the motor will kick in and start running great until I turn it off. I will check the compression and the spark after work, but I am wondering if this may be power box(s) or stator? any advise would be greatly appropriated before I go and break out another thousand!

Montauk72

Cadet
Re: Mercury 200 EFI .....Intermittent Loss of Power

I have had this boat for over 6 months now, I have ran the water numerous times with no problems at all. Starting about a month ago , I would take the boat out and I could get on top with no problems, but with in minutes the motor would bog out, and loose power, it would run about 7 mph and turn 3000 rpm. If I just leave my foot on the peddle there will be times about 10 minutes later the motor will kick in and start running great until I turn it off. I will check the compression and the spark after work, but I am wondering if this may be power box(s) or stator? any advise would be greatly appropriated before I go and break out another thousand!

I am having a very similar problem with my Mercury 90 EFI. It runs great then loses all power and once I shut engine off and restart it runs perfectly. No warning alarms are present and it has happened 4 times in the past 250 miles that I have put on the boat. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

My mechanic that I trust said I will most likely have to wait it out until it becomes a constant problem because it will be difficult to diagnose since it is happening so infrequently then returns to normal operation almost spontaneously.

Ann advice is appreciated. Thanks