flywheel removal without there special tool

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi
i trying to remove the fly wheel off 200hp engine getting that special mercurty flywheel puller is not option as marine dont sell tools so dunno where to get it? snap on? mac tools?

but how youj do it without it i tried with a harmonic balancer didnt work even tried trick u hit the the puller and it should pop up then tried crow bar and u u hit shaft nothing loosens it anyone know another trick?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: flywheel removal without there special tool

If your just going to replace stator just take the bolts out of the center of flywheel. Make sure its at TDC on pointer when you remove it so you can have a reference to reinstall it.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

ah i didnt mark the bolt holes and i took it off all the but i cant move it anyways its tight the top

didnt think it mattered for the cover since its just got the bolts holding it down

so now what i do then?
and maxrules site not an option it be a month before i get it as i in canada and u gotta wait for it to be searched at customs

but now me thing is i didnt think it mattered where the cover plate fly wheel when as its just magnets

how do i know where to put it back in same location?

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

so if u spin the flywheel on top of the insert of the fly wheel it will line up in only 4 spots out of the 8 bolts how can i tell which is the right one

right now i have the flywheel timing mark settings facing the starter and bolt holes line ujp there now i cant remember if thats where i had it before but if its in the right position by the starter which cylinder do i look at to see if its in the right position

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

figures its also in the states lol

i guess no one knows what postion from the key way the fly wheel sits on its base so i can put the bolts back in same way i should have taken a pic

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Use a screwdriver in the #1 cylinder spark plug hole, and set it to top dead center. #1 cylinder Should be starboard bank. Now rotate outer flywheel until timing mark indicates TDC and bolt it down. Flywheel should fit 8 ways, but you will know if you are off by 360 degrees/8 bolts = 45degrees.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok ill try that so tdc is when the clyinder is as far up to the spark plug right?

and what i ment is with the magnets set they only line up 4 ways turn the fly wheel a little then they dont line up then turn again it lines up the holes thats what i ment

and cylinder 1 is located top right cylinder from the looking at back of engine
and where do u put the timing marks facing cylinder one? or at starter or is there another mark?

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so i tried with screw driver and the markings end up around the starter now question is u can turn fly wheel a bit without the cylinder moving how you know exactly ur in the right spot etc

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

To set the timing pointer exactly requires a ruler, dial indicator, caliper etc. Measure from cylinder to piston top and add .464" to that measurement, or zero dial indicator. Now back (CCW) flywheel 1/4 turn. Now turn flywheel CW until you reach .464" on dial indicator or the measurement on ruler or caliper. Now adjust timing pointer to indicate .464 on flywheel decal.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

To set the timing pointer exactly requires a ruler, dial indicator, caliper etc. Measure from cylinder to piston top and add .464" to that measurement, or zero dial indicator. Now back (CCW) flywheel 1/4 turn. Now turn flywheel CW until you reach .464" on dial indicator or the measurement on ruler or caliper. Now adjust timing pointer to indicate .464 on flywheel decal.

i dont have any of that just a ruler i do have a vernier if that helps

and where would u adjust the flywheel decal too as i dont know where on the engine u need to point that too
all i know is if u take the 8 bolts off u u can line up the bolt holes every 2 turns cuz the magnets line up properly

thats all i know right now without any tools like that

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

i guess u cant just flip over a new fly wheel and tell me where the lines to aspect of where the other half with the key way is so i can just put it in the right hole

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just built my own 200 dollar version of the mercury fly wheel puller

So once i replace stator and put flywheel back on how can i make sure without special tools i had put the right bolts in the right hole setting

where is point of referenece you put the markings at the engine is there a arrow that you line up

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

so i looked in my selco marine repair book and it talks about timming and u adjust a small nut

but doesnt tell me my problem

the top of fly wheel is 8 bolts i took them all off and remove it to try to pull off but putting back on i forgot which way it went i did put it where the magnets linned up and thats how you can turn 45 degrees bolts dont line up and then another turn and they do line up

i wanna know is thats serious? or if i left it where they did line up it wouldnt matter

cuz then u can turn fly wheel either way to line up 45 degrees and then engine run fine again right

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Comet, You are really making this hard. A V6 motor has a timing mark on the plastic flywheel cover. Do you have that? If so, turn the motor until the top most cylinder is at top dead center. Now place the plastic flywheel cover on the motor and see which way you need to adjust the outer flywheel for it to indicate TDC, or close to it. Line up the nearest bolts. If it is within 40 degrees of TDC, you have installed it correctly. Use blue locktight on the flywheel bolts.

comet424

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok ill look tommorow the marine said it didnt matter for the flywheel plate since the engine was timed its just the plate

but ill try that so you cant screw it up then its either one bolt or the other

least thats a good sign figured i had this all messed up

ya i got cover ill look at it tommorow for the markings

thank you for the advice