65 to 90 hp mercury

misterfier

Recruit
Hello there to all that will read this..
i have a 14.4 runabout boat that i have been running with a 65 hp for years and always had fun rode fast and just enjoyed it... i reinforced the transom so i had not problem with it.
the only thing is the 65hp mercury has died. rings and pistons are shot.. so i want to put my 90hp on so i can enjoy the summer still.. i know my transom is in good condition and i will reinforce it with a plate inside the transom and reinforce the corners as well ... since i have ran the merc65 for years and it ways roughly 235 pounds. would the 90 hp - (weighing from 265 to 305) be dangerouse if I treat as i did the 65.. my boat was always rated for a 50 hp.. just never had one.. always ran a 65 and now i only have a 90 hp.. i am worried not so much about my transom.. more so about flipping the boat even if i run it slow to start and pick up speed..

just so you all know ,, for years i ran the merc 65 and a merc 7.5 kicker.. two batteries and gas tank in the rear of the boat.. and now i would run everything from the front.. so i figured with two 60 pound batteries 40 pounds of gas a 65 pound kicker and a 235 outboard is less weight than my 90 hp

if anyone can give me some advice on this let me know.

thanks
i know overpowering is not good.. and i dont want to .. just dont have another 65 or 50 hp .. and i can find one
i just though from a 65 to 90 might not over do it if i respect the waters..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 65 to 90 hp mercury

You are overpowering that boat by nearly 100%. You obviously need to be real careful as the hull is not designed for that power or resulting speed. The boat could (could) just stand on the gunwale and roll over. It has happened. Be real careful until you first see how she handles. Remember not to hit anything at high speed. Also, 50MPH is usually take off speed, when you hit a wake/wave.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why 2 batteries, just for redundancy? Before you start moving stuff around, lose the kicker and 1 battery. Mount your 90 about 1/2 - 1 inch lower than the 65 at neutral trim, and start water testing. Keep in mind, just because the throttle handle will go full throttle doesn't mean you have to. If you rig the boat correctly, your 90 at 3/4 throttle will probably give you better fuel economy than the 65 at WOT. Good idea to wear a pfd when testing, and have a "crash boat" standing by.

misterfier

Recruit

hello and thanks for the info. i am not running the 90 for speed or power as my 65 ran at 29 miles per hour.. i just dont have a motor except the 90hp...i know i am kinda worried that i may have problems and dont want to make a fun day a dead day.
i know the power is alot.. just cant find a 50 or 65 .... is there a way to reduce the power of the 90 so it is safer..
i ran my 65 full out and did it for years in calm and rough weather and still here to write.. i know with the power of a 90 i could write this from heaven .. if i can reduce the power than i can at least have fun.. unless someone has a 50 - 65 in the victoria , bc area.. then i would be safe and happy..
does the boat have to fun 3/4 or full to have it plain.. i could just set it up to run slower..

ok another question.. what size type of boat would be good and if i go with a bigger boat can i use my trailer that i got now for the 14 footer..

thanks for the info guys..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Just be the only driver, and control yourself. Don't let anyone else drive it. Remember race drivers drive on the edge of control, in order to win. sometimes they die. Don't do that....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

BTW - that motor should push that boat to 40MPH or so. Hopefully it will stay together.