Not Sure if I need reeds in my 1983 115hp Mercury

Excalibur1

Recruit
Help,,,

I have a 1983 115hp Mercury and I have taken it to a couple of shops. They tell me that they think it is the ReedBasket now I am mechanically inclined and a millwright by trade.. The engine will idle sometimes then it is stalls and will not pick up rpms..How much trouble is it to change these reeds out. compression is about average 118 for all 6 cylinders. I would think that it would be a more costly to have them do it. Whats my next step and thank you..

Excalibur1

damnskippy

Cadet
Re: Not Sure if I need reeds in my 1983 115hp Mercury

I am getting ready to replace my reeds on 50 HP 2003, just my opinion, stock reeds are stainless steel, sooner or later they are going to stress crack, and then you have SS in your crankcase, I bought carbon fiber reeds, they claim a HP and overall performance gain, I say you should replace your own reeds, but, I might add, buy a shop manual first, plus as you well know, there is great satisfaction in knowing the job was given your personal attention and everything is as good as it can be, Skip

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ex, Stock Reeds seldom go bad, unlike what Skippy has suggested. There are lots of other reasons for your symptoms. Reeds are not a good fit for those symptoms. When was the last time the carbs were cleaned and rebuilt?

BTW The reed boxes double as main bearings. As such they are internal to the crankcase, and not easy to get to.

mr 88

Commander

Is this a "new" engine for you or have you had it for a while and it just started to act up ? I agree with Chris1956 that it sounds more like a fuel delivery issue,not reeds and may need to be linked and syn'd after carbs are rebuilt.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Its not a reed problem and like chris posted stock reeds on inlines rarely go bad..

Excalibur1

Recruit

Its not a reed problem and like chris posted stock reeds on inlines rarely go bad..

I bought this boat in April, The spark plugs are wet and the carbs has been rebuilt and cleaned.. they found some fuel line residue in the bowl. Damn Ethanol. So your saying that the Reeds dont go as much as they say. well you know the marina shop..I think that they just want to sell me another motor.. man, I know this motor will have some nuts..Well I will keep ya posted on the day to day..I just ordered a shop manual for the motor.. I will keep in touch.. thank you all for your input.

damnskippy

Cadet

Guys, I was not trying to make any diagnosis at all, really all I was suggesting that Excalibur1 get a shop manual and work on his own motor, most repairs can be accomplished with the manual and a good set of hands, such as a millwrights hands, good luck, Skippy

Excalibur1

Recruit

I was just wondering where is the best and cheapest place to buy engine parts from..

Thanks

Excalibur 1

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ex, It depends what you need. Maintenance items are avail at many places and you can shop for best price. Non maint parts are avail at fewer places and some parts maybe only at salvage yards.