Help! My '85 9.8 Mercury will not turn!

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am sure there is a simple explanation for this, but I just installed a new wood transom brace for my boat and my motor is now attached but won't turn. It does not even move far enough to go straight, much less turn the other way. Is there some lock I am missing? I have never put it on the boat before, although it was on the boat when I purchased it and moved just fine. This is the first time I have had it back on the boat since transporting it after purchase. When I carried it, I held it under the front and back of the top of the motor (where the hand holds are). Here are the pictures.
motor 005.jpgmotor 004.jpgmotor 003.jpgmotor 002.jpgmotor 001.jpg

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help! My '85 9.8 Mercury will not turn!

I also cannot figure out how to tilt it up, and the steering handle is not in line with the motor which seems odd. As you can see from the second pic below part of the reason it is not turning is because the handle does not clear the mounting bracket. Here are a coupe more:
motor 006.jpgmotor 007.jpgmotor 008.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

attachment.php

I'm not an expert, but that curved row of 6 holes should have a locator pin running between the 2 opposite sides of the clamp. This is the 'trim' adjustment, to raise or lower the bow while underway based on the weight distribution.

The angled brace that runs down to the left from those trim locating pin holes, has a little bit of a curve in the bottom of it. I think that should be up & resting on the pin or something else not just sticking down.

Off hand, those 2 items may be causing most if not all of your difficulty turning the motor side to side.

attachment.php

In the dead center of this photo you can see a slot that has a keeper at the bottom of the slot, that should be the slot that guides the motor as you tilt it forward.....This pix also shows that angled brace with a foot that should be resting on (against) something

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's all it was! I just flipped that piece up on the through brace that is already there and she worked fine. Took it out on a brief test run yesterday and had a blast. Thanks yet again JB!

jbcurt00

Staff member

You'll still want to run down the tilt pin. Eventually, w/ more gear, fuel & people aboard, you'll at least want the option to raise or lower the bow via the tilt pin. You might be able to use something else as a pin, but it won't be quick & easy to adjust to another tilt angle...

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I noticed this on today's run. When starting the motor pulls as well because it is not locked in place like I think it would do with the pin. I downloaded a service manual but it is not the product manual like I would have liked. Was hoping for basic info as well like how to adjust tilt, where lock mechanisms are, etc. I also realized that I am missing a stop button which should be right in front of my gear shift.