82 mariner 115 timing issue?

suckmywake87

Cadet
I tried to check the timing on my 82 inline to see what it was set at and I got the primary At *5 degrees no problem. I moved the throttle forward till max spark screw hit its stop and cranked engine the timing gun light won't flash for max advance I tried several times. Light works every time for primary. I was wondering if anyone knows if a bad/faulty switchbox could cause something like this? Not advancing the spark at the right time or not sparking at all I mean. Timing light is a Mac TL65 my Granpa used on diesels there is no max spark settings so I assume it will find both degrees. Engine starts runs excellent on trailer.
Here's my main problem tho, The engine wont rev past 2000rpm underload I already found a bad rectifier, bad stator, replaced both, put a new fuel pump on. New gas lines fuel filter primer bulb spark plugs, dva tested trigger got 6 volts on all 3 tests. Coils are weak all 6 show .1 ohms ,great spark tho at boots 7/16+. The engine runs great starts right up idles all day at 600rpms in gear nwater move to half to 3/4 throttle and bogs wont die out tho just wont rev up past 2000 rpms but when u rev past 1900-2000rpms in neutral and back the throttle down the engine does this misfire? Its like it just found spark again it sparks and engine sounds great soon as it does this, weird &New to me problem. Only around 1400-1800 rpms does it do this tho, when u back off throttle in gear it also does this. I do still have to clean carbs even tho they look spotless hopefully that will fix me. But I still think I have some kind of ignition problem cus the misfire (not a snapping popping sound just a 150-200rpm raise normal spark/fire sound, but only when u throttle down). I have manual thankfully to help me until now. Mainly I was hopeful someone can explain if the switchboxes switch to lo or high volts at anytime or atleast if they do more than just send spark at the right moment from trigger to plugs?
Thanks in advance for any advice I'm lost on this outboard and need help from some pros.

Steve O

gbrowne9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 82 mariner 115 timing issue?

check the trigger again at full advance and see what you get.

suckmywake87

Cadet

Tested the trigger at max advance here are my results.

Yellow sleeve to black sleeve
Brown wire to Purple read 6-7 volts
White wire to Brown read 0 nothing
Purple wire to White 6.3-6.4 volts

When throttle is on primary I get 7 volts from all 3 sets of wires tested.

Guessing I might need a trigger also now.

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may be wrong but think it's in your advance setting it's sometime hard to get just right, I replaced my trgger and still had hard time running it was the advance up by the timming and flywheel it's a 115 inline 1983 almost the same good luck

suckmywake87

Cadet

Anyone think of any reasons why my timing light won't flash when checking max spark but the light will flash when I check the primary . I followed the manual step by step. I'm looking at trying another timing light this week.

Going to order new trigger since I got 0 volts on White wire to Brown wire when testing it at max advance.

suckmywake87

Cadet

Case closed. thanks gbrowne for the tip. I had a corroded white wire on the trigger, put the new trigger on and the engine runs like a champ again.