Mercury 1400 inline 6-Timing and Flywheel?

davidraneypt

Cadet
I am rebuilding my merc 1400. I pulled the flywheel from the crank shaft and then dissassembled it without paying attention.:facepalm:Now I need to put it back together, but I am worried about screwing up the timing. Does it matter what position the center hub (the dettachable piece mounted in the center of the flywheel) is attached to the flywheel? There is a mark on the flywheel for timing, but I am assuming I now will not be able to use this mark for timing adjustments. This is my first rebuild and would appreciate suggestions/feedback. Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury 1400 inline 6-Timing and Flywheel?

The flywheel hub only fits one way. It has that W shaped cut on it. The outer flywheel will fit 8 ways, each one being 45* different than the last one. it is real easy to install it properly. Turn the flywheel (plugs out) until the top cylinder is at top dead center. A screwdriver thru the plug hole will tell you where. Now unbolt the eight 5/16" bolts in the outer flywheel and turn it (crankshaft not turning) until the timing marks are pretty close to alignment. Now rebolt it using blue locktight.