newbie with questions about 115 merc

minocqa1

Recruit
hello
i bought this 1973 merc 1150 about a week ago.
after i got it home i could see that a few parts were missing :facepalm:
and the 3 wires that are coming out of the distributor have been cut and directly below the distributor
is a place that appears to have something missing ...it looks like it takes 3 screws i have included some pics
could you please look at them and see if you know what is missing on this motor..
also can someone tell me how to check compression on this motor the guy i bought it from said that at the compression was good..but i would like to check it.
thank youDon's Pics 276.jpgDon's Pics 265.jpgDon's Pics 266.jpgDon's Pics 267.jpgDon's Pics 268.jpg

minocqa1

Recruit
Re: newbie with questions about 115 merc

Bump: please help this has me stumped could it be the rectifier plus the 3 small wires that was cut on the disturbutor
there is enough wire left to spice them but i dont know where they get attached
any help please
Don

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: newbie with questions about 115 merc

The three wires from the distributor (black, white, brown) connect to the closest color coded terminals ont he switchbox. There should be a rectifer which should get two yellow wires from under the flywheel, plus a red wire from the starter solenoid or the main harness.

To check compression, hook up the battery and remove the spark plugs. Insert the gauge into a spark plug hole and use a jumper to jumper from the battery cable on the starter solenoid to the yellow wire on the solenoid primary winding. Remove the prop for safety.