Inline 1500 carb throttle pickup

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
I just got my fresh 1500 together and fired up last night. NEW NOS block, NOS crank, NOS rods, new pistons, new fiber reeds, NOS bearings, fresh rebuilt with Merc kit carbs etc. As close to a new 1500 as is possible in the 21st Century. Anyway its idling away at 10 degrees ATDC with a max of 21 degrees ( low dome pistons with premium no ethanol gas ) and Ive got to get the throttle pickup set. The mercury book sucks on the topic and the most common internet FAQ on the subject isnt all that clear on the topic either. I know it should be 3-4 ( or more ) degrees BTDC that the the throttle plate start to open but do I set the flywheel static at idle setting and then rotate the distributor to get the throttle pickup ? Whats your best way?

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Inline 1500 carb throttle pickup

what year tradebit.com has service manuals likly one for your motor . i have a 1984 115hp inline and it only cost me$5.00 to bownload I think it's a good one. it showed the timming for mine and the throttle setup too

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If it is a 1500 IL6, it will have distributor ign. There is a brass collar about 1/2 way up the distributor body. It has plastic fingers that push on the carb lever to open the carbs. Loosen the two bolts that hold the collar tight, and set the throttle to show 4-6* BTDC, on the timing light, with 5 spark plugs removed, installed into their wires and grounded. Now rotate the collar until the fingers just touch the carb lever. Tighten the bolts.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

So, while its running run the throttle up to show 4-6 degrees BTDC?

Its still not brass btw :)

BTW I completely rebuilt this thing ( it needed it ) and it still runs like rap. Carb setting probably. I'm at factory setting for float height and it dies like a dog as soon as I give it gas. Tried idle screw settings all over the place. I think I 'll try dropping the float height on all the carbs next. With the factory book setting I have gas almost to the top of the emulsion tube

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

While it is cranking move throttle to 4-6*BTDC. Now loosen bolts and set collar. With plugs 2-6 removed, it will not run.