Mercury 200 2-stroke starter only turns the motor a couple of times on each key turn

95Wahoo

Recruit
I have a Mercury 200 2-stroke that is sometimes hard to start. The starter only turns the motor a couple of times on each key turn. (i.e. repeatedly, I turn the key and get two motor turns and a beep). This makes it really tough to start on some occasions. It seems to be worse after I have been on the water for a while. I have no idea why. Internet searches have been fruitless. I have a newish battery with a good charge. I replaced the starter solenoid. It didn't seem to make a difference. Do you folks think its my starter going bad? Any advise or tips on troubleshooting are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Mercury 200 2-stroke starter only turns the motor a couple of times on each key t

check and clean all your battery connections from the battery to the start solenoid to the starter and back thru the ground wire. if your battery has wing nuts, throw them away and get real nuts.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury 200 2-stroke starter only turns the motor a couple of times on each key t

As long as you have checked the battery, conections, solinod and all electrical conections, the starter could be the trouble. I would take it off and have it looked at at a rebuild shop localy. Alot cheaper than buying new or used one. The brushes or armiture in the starter is probbly causing the unit to draw to much amprage.JMO
Oldman570

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Connect one end of a jumper cable to the POS terminal of the battery. Touch the other end directly to the large post on the starter. If the starter now spins you have a bad battery, bad cables (corroded where the cable enters the terminal) or there are simply bad connections. Just because a battery tests 12.6 volts with a meter does not mean it is a good battery. If you test voltage while cranking the engine you will likely see it drop dramatically. If it drops below 11 volts you have a bad starter or bad battery. Have the battery load tested if you don't have a voltmeter. Any auto store can do it for free (normally).