video of motor control

diverkyle19

Recruit
Hi new here and to boating I have a 16 foot sea swift open bow with a mercury 650 outboard. Took it out last weekend runs great sounds good but does not seem to have the power I thought it would. I watched some online videos of the 650 running and mine is no where near running as fast. I know a lot of things can come in to play but when opened up to full throttle doesn't even sound like it is wound up all the way. I am new to this kind of two control lever control box. The boats my parents had when I was a kid were newer and only one control lever with a button. I was woundering if someone could put up a video of them starting their motor and getting it up to full speed showing what levers they are moving and tell me what they are doing and why. I have the two lever control box with the larger whitelever on the left and the smaller black one on the right and a push button choke right above the key.

Zenvalo

Seaman
Re: video of motor control

The smaller lever on the right you are talking about is a warm up lever.

On my 500, before starting the motor, I pump the bulb on the fuel line until firm, lift the warm up lever and put it as far forward as possible. Press and hold the choke button on top of the control and turn the key until it starts.

Once it's running, move it back some while it warms up. You don't want it to idle too high, but you want enough high idle to keep it running and warming up. Once it's warmed up, that lever MUST be put all the way back down before you even touch the the larger throttle lever. It should be able to idle on its own once warm. If not, there are other issues. There should be no reason to use that warm up lever after the motor has been running and is warm.

The throttle is just like any other throttle that I've ever seen. Forward for forward and vice versa. If you've been moving the warm up lever while in gear or leaving it up, don't do that anymore. Hope this helps clear it up a little bit for ya!

moparkid16

Cadet

so that choke button is supposed to press down? mine wont budge. any idea what the turnable knob is for?

Zenvalo

Seaman

The choke button doesn't press down very far. To find out if it's working, you'll need to have a charged battery hooked up like normal, turn they key to the on/run position and when you press the button down, you will hear an obvious single click sound at the motor.

iamwill1973

Seaman

Thank You so much Commander for the link I also have a 650 1966 model and that is awesome for you to have shared that with us invaluable information. Sorry diverkyle19 to post like this on your thread but it was an exceptional question that helped many people I am sure. Happy boating to all.

diverkyle19

Recruit

I got just the answers I was looking for along with some other I kinda knew and other one I didn't think to ask feel free to ask any thing so every one can learn thank you so much every one the help going out Friday and hoping for a much better outcome