2005 Mercury 60 hp four stroke - backfiring and stalling out

danimalw

Recruit
2005 Mercury 60 hp four stroke - backfiring and stalling out. Once or twice a year, motor will bogg down, backfire, and stall out. I've been removing the fuel filter, dumping the gas in it, and restarting, and the problem goes away completely. Is this most likely a result of using ethanol gas that has sat too long or contains water (didn't see any water)?

Additionally, the tube from my lower unit up to my consel was torn from my last trip out (pinched in the trim???). Anybody know what this tube is for? Gauges were working fine... Can't think of anything that this tube would have a purpose for.

Thanks,

Dan

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2005 Mercury 60 hp four stroke - backfiring and stalling out

Tube is for your speedo that never work..use GPS LOL.....Ethanol should not be used after 60 days or less... I give my gas away as the octane goes away and you risk burning a piston or worse yet, blowing a hole in one from pinging which you cannot hear like we could in the old cars....Stalling out can be a number of things..First, rebuild the fuel pump that is being eaten by the Ethanol..Next be sure and ad a racor water separator as I can promise you that you are getting water/phase separation. I just check one of my boats that has been used for a couple of years and the separator was full of yes, liner from the gas hose totally crystallized...had it made through the on board filter could have cost me a motor...clog a jet or injector and burn up the motor...happens everyday to somebody...Lastly, get some clear hose and a portable tank to see if the problem continues...You could have an air leak or problem with your tank if it is a permanent tank. The system must be air tight and the bulb must never go soft once it is squeezed.. If it does, air leak and motor shuts down waiting for you to reprime(squeeze) the bulb..Good Luck