What would you do?

sweberhart

Cadet
We recently purchased a 1971 Seaswirl with a Mercury 850 Outboard. The motor started when we were purchasing the boat. Then, when we took it out on the lake a few days later the motor wouldn't start. We took it in to our local marine shop and the mechanic got the boat started but said that we may have a problem with the labrinth seals and reed blocks. We then were able to enjoy a day on the lake but towards the end the motor started stalling. We took the boat back in and the mechanic said that we need the carbs rebuilt. However, he said that he thinks that the seals and blocks will give out soon and actually recommends that we either buy another motor for this boat or sell this boat and purchase an entirely new one. What should we do? We can spend $250 now on the carbs and possibly be able to boat the rest of the summer and maybe next summer too. However, we could spend that money and the seals could go out after a day or two on the lake. The other option is that we can part the motor out. If we do this it may take a while until we could recoup our money and purchase another boat. We cannot afford to purchase another boat without selling this one first.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What would you do?

$250 is about what they charge to rebuild carbs, I assume that you have 2 .............. about $40 and you can do it yourself, that's where I would start.

Carbs aren't scary, remove your starter first. Reeds, I probably wouldn't attempt that myself, but maybe only because I don't know enough abouty that job.

B-Dozer

Seaman

How much did you pay for the boat and motor ? You can get a motor, in my area at least, for less than a 1000 dollars

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

That is an old motor... you can find motor deals all day long on Craigs List as long as you don't take people's word that the motor runs perfect and it is sitting on the ground...Always do a compression test and I have shop spark testors to insure a nice blue spark. I don't use Harbor Freight junk that others will use...The professional ones let you ajust how far the spark jumps which indicates how good and strong the ignition system is...just sparking means little....I just bought a 1985 75 hp. for $400 and it needs a trigger..no big deal unless you can't work on them.. Like stated about for $1000 can get you a mid 80's or so motor..Just be sure to take someone with you that knows motors as Ihave made my mistakes early on taking people's word on how well it ran last time out..LOL

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

go to different mechanic or few and compare what they are saying.carb repair kits are wildly avaiable if u have some mechanical knowlege.but....litsen for a clicking sound from chocke when you are starting motor.make sure u pump the primer bulb till hard.

sweberhart

Cadet

How much did you pay for the boat and motor ? You can get a motor, in my area at least, for less than a 1000 dollars

I think we are going to purchase a newer but still used motor from the marine shop and have them install. I think it makes the most sense.

B-Dozer

Seaman

Make sure when you get a motor from a marine shop you get at least a 30 day warranty, and run the hell out of it those 30 days! chances are, if there is a problem with the motor it will come out by then. then they can pay to fix the problem not you. JMO

Moody Blue

Captain

You will ALWAYS have problems with old motors. You just trade one problem for another when you switch motors. If you want to own an old motor you either have to be rich and pay someone else to fix it or learn to work on them yourself.

Get a second or even third opinion on your motor before you commit to trading it in. Sure works out well for the marine shop that they tell you your motor is shot and then offer to sell you a replacement. Just saying.