2000 Mercury 90 hp - won't start

ryanlane55

Cadet
Took the boat to Lake of the Ozarks for the weekend. Had a few issues but all that was needed was a few pumps on the bulb and I was off again.

Started the motor, and shut it down 30-40 times probably over the course of 3 days. Then yesterday afternoon as everyone took off in my truck to meet me at the boat ramp I get in the boat and it would not start. I had just been running it not 2 hrs before. I could hear the starter click and then it would just turn over and over and over. Nothing. Pumped the bulb a few times and it was hard, so I know it had fuel. Any ideas what the heck could of went wrong or where the issue is?

So gladly I had the trolling motor and we weren't too far away from the ramp....I didn't feel so bad when the jetski came by pulling a pontoon with one pontoon completely full of water. How that thing stayed afloat and could even be drug is beyond me.

When I got back to the ramp and tilted the motor up, some oil came out the lower end somewhere. I had never noticed this before, but I figured it was because trying to start the motor for so long. I even noticed a few oil spots floating up on our way over to the ramp.

Gonna take it in today to get looked at, but figured I would ask you boys here.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Mercury 90 hp - won't start

The engine needs fuel and spark and it has to happen at the right time. Miss any one or more of the three and it won't run. It is anybody's guess. Spark is easy to check -- no tools necessary. Squirt a fuel/oil mixture into the carbs to see if it pops. If so, you have a fuel problem. You didn't accidentally trip the kill switch did you?

ryanlane55

Cadet

The engine needs fuel and spark and it has to happen at the right time. Miss any one or more of the three and it won't run. It is anybody's guess. Spark is easy to check -- no tools necessary. Squirt a fuel/oil mixture into the carbs to see if it pops. If so, you have a fuel problem. You didn't accidentally trip the kill switch did you?

Boy don't I feel stupid. Just went out and looked, and the kill toggle switch was in the Off position. I am going to go out and try it and see if that isn't what the problem was. I am willing to bet it was. This is my first newer generation motor. Always had smaller tiller 25 hp etc.

Is it normal in a situation like this, if I was trying to get it started for awhile by cranking it for the oil to seep out when I pulled the boat up the ramp. I have read where other guys said this is normal. Just checking on that as well.

Thank you Silvertip, you probably saved me some $$ by taking it somewhere for someone to tell me that :)

ryanlane55

Cadet

Ever have that moment in life where you feel like a complete jack***. Thanks Silvertip, it was the kill switch turned to off. One of the kids must of knocked it down when they were playing around on the boat while we were fishing off the dock. Did not even cross my mind. Took the boat to the local dock, and fired right up..........THANK YOU for knocking some sense into me.