68 mercury 200 Electric Start

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 68 Mercury 200 (20hp) with electric start. From what I can tell this is sort of rare with the electric start. I'm having an issue with the starter motor. I am going to try and bring it in tomorrow but I think it might be time to get a new one. There is no part number left on the motor. I can see where it was at one point but I can't read any of it.

Does anyone know what motor this would be? Any advice where to get one of these at a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance.

Arkman

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 68 mercury 200 Electric Start

Thanks for the help Gerry. I have looked at that site a lot of times but I've never noticed the starter was listed under it. There is a local boat junk yard I should call and see if the have one there. I might bring in it to see what it would cost to have it rebuilt. If that is possible.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 68 mercury 200 Electric Start

I would just take it apart and look it over, there is no magic in a starter. Older starters sometimes need brushes, they also get packed up with dust from the brushes wearing. Also make sure that your connections are clean and tight and that you have a good battery.

Remove the screws, pull it apart, clean it real good, polish the copper segments, check the brushes and replace if necessary, put just a coating of grease on the bushings, and put it back together. You may have to make a U shaped tool out of sheetmetal to hold the brushes together as you reassemble it, I made one in 5 minutes.

Here is a section of the 50 hp manual that shows how to make a tool and disassemble the starter. I can tell you that my dimentions weren't exact and I had to rebend the tool for my starter, but you'll get the idea.

50hp-starters2.jpg