Repair manual for 60 hp mariner - year 83 or 84 and water pump question

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Decided i'll have to try to fix my motor myself , looking online i find its either a 1983 or a 1984 depending on the site i use . I need to know what year as i want to make sure i get the right parts ( water pump kit and trigger assembly) SN is 6463016 . I found a Seloc one that covers 1977 to 1989 ( thou it says there is no 83 60hp 3cyc ) So iam guessing the site that shows 1983 is maybe not correct . Are soloc books detailed enough or is there a different company to look for a repair manual for ?

There is no water out the pee hole , i checked the hose and its not blocked . Any thing else to check and if i need to replace the impeller , should i do the impeller or just do a whole kit ?

Will the repair book show what the wires are for on the quicksilver plug ? (the small 6 prong one , that comes out the front of the quicksilver )

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repair manual for 60 hp mariner - year 83 or 84 and water pump question

try maxrules.com you can get your trigger there or wholesale marine .com and have the sn number for your motor

carholme

Rear Admiral

Don't have a clue what the other guy was talking about getting a "trigger".

Tear the unit down first and see what needs to be replaced. you may just need an impeller and gaskets but you can make your own gaskets.

Here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer service manual which will help you get started:

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?...be68-584c17ecbab2@sessionmgr114&vid=4&hid=111

Parts Listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/276.cfm

Here is a link to the newest Merc Control manual and you can identify which box you have:

http://www.4shared.com/office/aYv2iNTC/merc_controls_newest_manual.html

Here is a link to the wire colours which you can use to identify the wires in your control box.

http://www.maxrules.com/fixmercwiringcodes.html

Gerry

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you !!!

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Depending on how the lower plate and upper cup of the water pump looks you might be better replacing those also. The small plug on the front of the control is where you would plug in a harness for gages and power to the dash. Some controls only have 5 prongs on them and they can be bought at a dealer or sometimes on Ebay. The harness will come in diffrent lengths to fit diffrent setups. Most all manuals will have wireing diagrams with colors in them for the motors that they cover including the controls. I have a Seloc vol II 3 &4 cyc Merc manual that list a 1984 3 cyl Merc that should be close to the same for your Mariner. OME manuals are the best, a call to Mercury Marine will get you the best info as where to get a OME manual for that motor.
Oldman570

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stopped by the library and could only copy from the manual they had there . I came home , put control in forward , tilted motor up .
I removed the plug and allen bolt to get the bolt under the anode , Near that one was another stud nut i removed , then another two one on each side . The diagram shows another stud nut place but i can make out where it is . Can someone direct me to where it is please ?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

That should be all that needs to be removed to drop the LU. I think the stud that shows is just one of three that holds the water pump together. Sometimes it takes some gentle pulling to get the driveshaft and water tube to come loose from the motor. when replacing the LU back on the midsection motor, put some grease on the driveshaft splines to help keep them corroding and make it easier to remove again if needed.
Oldman570

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok its still whipping me lol , so only 4 bolts to remove right ?

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It may just be stuck , if you mean these two they are removed .... When i loosen the othe two nuts ( one each side ) one seems to be free the other side not as much . The back of motor ( prop side dropped pretty easy ) Just wanted to make sure i undid everything before i started using the rubber mallet http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/QO2008/50HP Mercury/IMG_6130.jpg :)

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Yes only those 4 bolts & nuts need to be removed. The driveshaft or water tube is hanging up, and you might have to use some wooden wedges between the LU halfs to get it apart. When putting grease on the drive shaft splines make sure there is none on the top of the shaft as it will cause a whole bunch of trouble if there is.
Oldman570

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally got it to drop alittle . Got about a 1/2 gap now and one of the nuts was able to come off so not sure how much more i got left to go but its progress non the less. The small wedges i was using won't do more so i'll grab some tomm and hope for the best . Maybe on a downside , one wedge got stuck so i took a screwdriver to try to get behind it alittle and a small piece broke off the edge ( maybe a 1/4 long piece ) when i get it off i'll see if it looks like it will seal back up flush and post a picture . Come on engine gods send me some love :)

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

the four bolts are smaller two on each side hope this picture help only one I have they are up under platelowerunit2.jpg

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the four bolts are smaller two on each side hope this picture help only one I have they are up under plateView attachment 162058

Not real sure where you mean unless on some mercs i have seen the 2 bolts on each side . Mine has just 1 on each side , the allen bolt to remove the anode and one bolt under the anode and one just before the anode . Anyways i grab 2 wedges on way home and now a bigger piece broke off , And foot really didn't move down any . Iam not sure how much spline goes in so doubt its close . It does wiggle alot now and i get about 1/2 gap where the shafts are .

I was willing to try to do water pump and the trigger wire repair , but simply can't afford a used foot even if i get this one off , plus the trigger . I debated just selling it needing the water pump but since this piece has since broke off , not much gonna work out there. Ive read some turn the motor upside down and all that but other then having compression , a new starter I 've i've started it up just long enough to see if water pump worked and went to forward and reverse . Heres where is broke a piece off :
SDC12830.jpg

I decided to try this myself as i went to 2 shops local to ask about them changing the water pump and 1 said they wouldn't unless they did a 200 hr ( might of been 300 hr service ) the price for that was 2x what i thought it would be to change a water pump . One shop had me leave my number so they could check price and avail on the water pump kit .... never have heard back from them ....... My last thought was maybe a mobile service tech ,which the price seemed decent . Then i asked about the cost to pull the flywheel ..... His reply was " I'd have to go to habour frieght to get a puller and since it can only be used one time , i would have to charge min 3 hours to pull flywheel and 89.00 for the puller since it can be only one time " This was also after he told me he had been a tech for over 12 years . I would of thought he would have a merc flywheel puller being a tech ..... Ahhh such is life

So i debate what to do , buy a running boat / motor on craigslist that i can test on water ... try to beat this off and hope it comes off and i don't need nothing else replaced .... or take bets on how long it will run before locking up with no water .

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry about that www.marineengine.com has your engine by ser number that will help with year it shows all parts and may help you get it apart

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Time to go shopping for the manual and a motor lift ring/ flywheel puller from the sound of things. There are ring/puller and manuals listed on Ebay at times. Manual =$30 lift ring/ puller=$40 give or take some on both. The piece that is broken off the cav. plate can be welded back on or repaired with JB allumium weld. Turnning the motor upsidedown and spray PB Blaster in on the driveshaft will help the removal of the LU. Leave the Blaster set for awhile and respray the DS after a hour or so before trying to remove the LU again.
Oldman570

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Curious , what effects off turning the motor upside down have on an engine ? what needs to be emptied out first ? I spoke to a friend and he mentioned taking a holesaw and going thru the housing to be able to spray the shaft there . He has a tig welder and said he could fix the spot that broke on the cavatation plate and do the same to the hole also . If i go this route , where can a find where the shaft is to cut the hole ?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

You can drill a hole in the midsection and spray the PB Blaster in on yhe driveshaft but it will only run down the shaft in the wrong direction from where it is needed. Turn the motor upside down and spraying throught the aera where the LU is open will let the Blaster run down the shaft and aroundwhere the shaft splines go into the crankshaft. May take some time for the blaster to work and more sprayed in on the shaft but it will help.
Oldman570

Shallowman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Decided to do both . Cut access hole to make sure iam able to get it to run down the shaft toward the head , fiqured i would turn it upside down and use the acess hole as mentioned and let it soak . I first decided to look thru the acess hole to "see" if i could tell if anything else was stuck . I find it odd the copper tube and what i think in the exhaust part both move as i wiggle , or "pry" on the foot .. The driveshaft however doesn't drop/raise any , it also seems the shift shaft or shaft assem. as its calledon the crowley site does not either . Which makes me wonder how iam unable to get the lower to drop 1/2 inch (drops past the pin dowels ) Is there 1/2 inch play in the both them shafts so they don't move till after that ???