Changing out a 1996 60 mariner with a 1970's mercury 650 will controls work?

iamwill1973

Seaman
I forgot to add oil to the res on the 60 hp mariner so it don't run so good anymore picked up this older 65 hp merc and will try to mount it on my center console mitch craft. Is there anything I need to know? Thank you guys for sharing your experience and knowledge. I am almost new to boating as I had a runabout for a couple of years. So I really appreciate any help you could give.:)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Changing out a 1996 60 mariner with a 1970's mercury 650 will controls work?

The throttle and shift cables will work w/o issue. The electrical needs to be adapted. Depending on the year of the 650, it may have the old wiring colors. Check and post the color of the choke wire. If grey, you have the old wiring colors. If the choke wire is yellow/black, you have the new wire colors. You will need to pick up a quick disconnect plug and graft it to the new controls, or hardwire the controls to the motor. You can cannibilize the quick disconnect plug off the 60HP motor and splice the 650 wires to that. That likely makes the most sense.

iamwill1973

Seaman
Re: Changing out a 1996 60 mariner with a 1970's mercury 650 will controls work?

Thank You Chris1956 I am going to begin after I get some makeshift shelter over them long enough to take pictures and take them apart. I plan on selling all parts off the 1996 mariner 60 elpto. So it doesn't matter to me but the 650 is important. Hopefully I can get help with this issue and project as it goes. Thanks again.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

What year 650? 3 or 4 cylinder? If its a distributor type engine you will need to rewire key switch if you what it done properly.

iamwill1973

Seaman

I know it is a 4 cylinder 650 gonna look for numbers as the po said it was a 79 and I am finding out they did not make a 650 that year. The mariner is a 1996 60 hp elpto 3 cylinder. You know I do not know so I will ask what do you mean distributor type engine? As in one has points the older merc and the mariner would have a distributor? How is that affected?Thank You for your input faztbullet but please elaborate further.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If it has points it may be from the 60s. An early 70s Merc will have a distributor, w/o points, but will require battery voltage to have spark. The '96 Merc does not require battery voltage to have spark.

iamwill1973

Seaman

mercury2.jpgmercury4.jpgThe serial number on the merc 650 is 2109185 I think it is a 66 or 67 year motor I don't know if this is a bad thing or not. I was told it was a 1979. May have got taken again. If this motor runs good and I continue to take care of it maybe it will last.

iamwill1973

Seaman

Chris1956 Thanks again for replying, A question please: when you say it needs battery voltage to have spark do you mean it needs a hot wire hooked up from the keyed switch so when you turn the key not only does it engage the starter it powers the ignition to provide spark to the engine or it has to have a battery hooked up to run even when using the pull start option? I have seen your responses on here and am impressed with your knowledge, so any help you can give is sooooo much appreciated. Thank you again faztbullet also for your input and in advance for anyone else willing to chime in. I am looking into the best ways to make this switch from the mariner to the mercury I am also looking at maybe just changing the engine and leaving the mariner transom mount being as it already has tillt/trim on it does anybody know if that will work?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That motor predates my knowledge. I will need to wait for fazt to chime in. A lot of the later motors like your '96 do not have a wire for power to go from the keyswitch to the engine. You may need to add that, in order to power the ign on the older motor. After Fazt tells you the year, you may look for the wiring diaghram on the maxrules web site.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

To use your box and wire it properly you will need to rewire and change key switch as the ADI style is open in run position and CD ignition is closed in run as it sends 12V thru white wire to switchbox to run. You will not be able to use the kill tether unless its rewired and turned upside down in control box.

iamwill1973

Seaman

So being that I have the control box and everything is hooked up now would it be better, easier to just strip wiring out of the old boat and pull the cables into my center console? Maybe it would just be easier to change everything over with the old motor installation. I was hoping I could use the mariner transom mount also but I do not think that is possible there is a big unit for the tilt/trim on the 1966 merc and I do not know where this box is at on the boat but gonna look to see if the hydraulic hoses are the same maybe just hook the pistons up to the mariner tilt control?

iamwill1973

Seaman

Ok so if I got this right the control I have I think it is quicksilver does the throttle and tranny work along with the tilt/trim right? So the ignition switch which on this unit is seperate is really all I need to change then right? Being that I am guessing all wires needed for electrical function basically comes off the ignition switch. I am going to be dismantling labeling and taking pictures over the next few days as I am on crutches recuping from leg surgery.