1968 Mercury 200 20HP Twin- Shift Shaft

Alex_MS

Recruit
Hey folks. I am trying to fix some problems on a 1968 Mercury 200 20HP twin motor that I have. While attempting to fix a shifting problem, I removed the shift shaft, and now I can't seem to get it back on. My repair manual isn't making it too easy. It seems like the shaft should just slide back in the same way it slid off, but it won't go. From the diagram, I can see that the shaft is supposed to fit into the cam inside the lower unit, but when I push the shaft shaft down and rotate, it doesn't seat.

When I removed it, it took a bit of effort to pull it out, so I thought maybe the propeller shaft (which can be pushed in a bit) might be part of the issue, since it ties into the cam through the gears/spring ect. Pushing it in didn't do anything however.

The cam and shaft are splined, so it seems like they should just fit in without too much trouble. The shaft is one piece with the e-clip, so I don't think there's anything causing a blockage.

What am I doing wrong?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1968 Mercury 200 20HP Twin- Shift Shaft

The cam has a spring-loaded pin that rides against it. The pin rides inside the propshaft, and is what actuates the shift clutch. Once you remove the shift shaft, the spring pushes the pin, which pushes the cam forward and out of alignment with the shift shaft. There is no way to realign the cam from up top. You must pull the propshaft and gears out to realign.